What to call it, one of two pieces of pottery by Giovannia Desimone

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by northernridge, Jul 28, 2014.

1. northernridge

northernridge Active Member

The first is a 7" wide-mouth vase.
    [​IMG]
    It's signed, of course.
    [​IMG]
    But the other piece is a mystery. I've been searching completed listings using words such as jar, lidded, covered, dresser etc. It's a six-sided dish of sorts, 3" deep to the top of the lid and 4 1/2" in diameter.
    [​IMG]
    It's signed also, but differently.
    [​IMG]
    As always, heartfelt thanks for input!

2. northernridge

Oops. Rushed Title line. Make that Giovanni Desimone.

3. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Well I had to goggle the time period and saw some other venue is calling his work, "after Pablo Picasso" and I also found, "Giovanni De Simone was born into the Italian aristocracy. Having studied under Pablo Picasso, Giovanni picked up on the simple lines and bright colors..."

..so perhaps being able to VERIFY that he did indeed study as noted would help you to word it.

4. northernridge

Thank you. Appreciate the input!

5. Walter Del Pellegrino

Walter Del Pellegrino Well-Known Member

To answer your primary question the item is properly called a "Trinket Box".
    Now, to set the record straight let me say that, although it is a popular myth, Giovanni DeSimone never studied under Pablo Picasso. I have had that confirmed by Giovanni's nephew, Vincent, who wrote me in my Italian Pottery Marks" Forum in 2012:

"I don't know where you are getting your information, but Giovanni deSimone never studied under Picasso. Giovanni’s teachers were named; Angel Biancini & Anselmo Bucci, of the school of ceramics in Faenza Italy. Prior to this he attended school Liceo Tasso in Rome."

Your vase is marked "Made in Italy for Vietri" and in this instance the reference is to the firm of Vietri, Inc of North Carolina. This import company was established in 1983 and is still active today. Thus we can date this piece to some time between 1983 and 2008 when Margherita De Simone closed the studio and factory. In 2009. she sold the rights to the company to a consortium of buyers and although their is no longer a connection to the family the ceramics continue to bear the DeSimone name.
    Susanna DeSimone, Margherita's sister, also had a studio in Rome and she too marked her work in a similar fashion.

Your trinket box was most likely decorated in the 1970's, perhaps early 1980 while Giovanni was still active at the pottery. He passed away in 1991.

6. northernridge

They told me earlier that you were quite an authority, Walter, and you have proved them right. I'm grateful to you for this enlightening input!

Tell me please, do you have an opinion as to whether the vase was actually designed by Giovanni himself, as someone has suggested?

7. Walter Del Pellegrino

Thank you for the kind compliment. It is unlikely that Giovanni designed the motif for the vase or that he did the decoration himself. Although he remained active in the company he created back in the 1950's by the 1970's he left the company in the hands of his three daughters, Rosita, Susanna and Margherita.

8. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Walter, you have a new avatar pic! Would you tell us what it is, please! :)

9. northernridge

I see. It's a good thing I put the following at the very top of the listing, in blue:

NOTE: Am told this "is likely a Giovanni design." Unable to authenticate.

Thank you very much, Walter!

10. Walter Del Pellegrino

The maioiche (majolica) plate resides in the Victoria & Albert Museum. It has been attributed to the region of Castel Durante by an unknown artist and dated to 1530. It measure 24.5 cm (9.5 inches) in diameter. That is all the notes say. What makes this genre of painting interesting is what the caption doesn't say.
    The inscription, in Latin, on the band reads "Amore Igrato" or "Thankless Love". It was a particularly popular theme in the early to mid 16th century. Such examples were most often commissioned by women to give as gifts to their lovers and sometimes, though less often, even to their husbands. Can you image the arguments, not to mention murders, these plates instigated.

Figtree3 and kentworld like this.
  11. northernridge

So interesting.

And it's an arresting image.

12. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Thanks for telling us the story about the plate, Walter! Hmmm...imagine giving a plate with such a sentiment today!

Draft saved Draft deleted