What kind of table is this?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Petar Novakovic, Dec 3, 2014.

1. Petar Novakovic

Petar Novakovic New Member

any idea?

Attached Files:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. Snipsa

Snipsa Active Member

I know nothing about furniture, but could it be a telephone table?

3. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

These are end tables, meant to go at the ends of a sofa. Would have held table lamps on the top portion.
    Look to be mahogany.
    I'm guessing the time period to be 1940s-60s.
    They appear to be originally of good quality. Any names on the bottom?

4. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

I agree with Clutteredcloset.

5. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

Personally, I've never liked the look of that style of end tables. I don't know why, just never sat well with me. The ones you have do look of nice quality. Most of the time, you find them just banged up, cup rings on the surface, just looking nasty.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

I agree that they are end tables. I have seen them used to good effect in a bedroom (one on each side of the bed). Great for a bedside lamp on top and a stack of bedtime-reading books on the lower shelf.

You're lucky you found the pair in such good shape. They're really quite serviceable.

7. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The term "step table" might apply or that could just be something brought on by the caffeine. ;)

Clutteredcloset's date range is spot on, although by the end of that range there were other finishes becoming more popular.

Used as end tables, lamp on top and space below for whatever.

8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Can't add much more than what others have said. They are mahogany two-tier (step) end tables and 1940s-50s is about right. Style is really not pure enough to be anything other than traditional.

gregsglass likes this.
  9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

I love them and think they are charming :)

10. Petar Novakovic

Petar Novakovic New Member

Thank you so much for all your input. Any idea what they may be worth?

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Depends on where you are,plus brown furniture is at an all time low.Now if you painted them turquoise theyd fly out of the store ! :)

gregsglass likes this.
  12. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

13. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

They sure don't sell for anything close to that around here. You would be very lucky to get $40.00 for one in good condition here.

14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

And here in n. fla thatd be WITH paint, Brad !

15. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

A crafty seller might advertise 'em as His and Hers Retro Computer Desks or something. Monitor on top, keyboard on bottom? You'd have to take pix with computer in place so they'd get the idea right away.

16. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I sold a Lane one last year at an upscale flea along with a matching coffee table. The buyer decided he'd turn it sideways and put a flat screen TV on it. I started thinking that might look rather interesting. (I actually found something rectangular about the size of his tv and held it up so he could see how it might look. )
    Lane End Table.jpg

17. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Aren't the lower shelves on end tables such as these fairly close to the floor (maybe two feet or so from the floor)? If you put a computer on the lower shelf "most" people would have to sit on the floor with their legs remaining on the floor to type/use the lower shelf of the table without having to stoop over.

Draft saved Draft deleted