Featured What Kind of Knife or Tool ?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Suzy60us, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

This was at a TS that is selling donated items from College Students leaving town for the summer. Is it a knife or some type of sculpting tool? The blades are marked Japan. One end has double blades that are serrated. Measures 8.25 inches tip to tip. odd knife 001.JPG odd knife 001.JPG odd knife 003.JPG odd knife 007.JPG

Attached Files:

Rayo56, lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

I know I've seen these.
    I think it is for sculpting various materials but not sure.

3. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks like a sculpting tool for clay - but I have never seen one exactly like yours.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

I would use this to carve sign foam and so I offered material options. :)

Rayo56 likes this.
  5. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Grapefruit knife. The double blade goes on each side of the segment membrane, then one runs the single blade around the edge.
    My grapefruit knife looks like the first one below; but here is one very like Suzy's, for sale now on etsy as a "vintage grapefruit knife."

grapefruit knife 2.jpg grapefruit knife.jpg

6. KingofThings

That would be it though a great sculpting tool and I'd be shocked to not find them in studios.

7. Suzy60us

Suzy60us Well-Known Member

Thank You so very much. I thought it was a sculpturing too but could not find one like it.

komokwa and KingofThings like this.
  8. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I'll be darn - that is so great! Guess they had alot of time to mess around eating grapefruit back in the day!!

When I was a kid my Mom just cut it in half then cut the sections between the membrane with a serrated knife and we scooped it out with a a skinny spoon - and I do think they called it a grapefruit spoon!! Plus she put sugar all over it. Oh the good old days!!!

Messilane, Aquitaine, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Well in reality it "sculpted the wedges of grapefruit right out of the rind!!

KingofThings likes this.
  10. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I did the same with grapefruits but then after being sugared and cut, tossed under the broiler for several minutes.
    greg

11. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

I use my grapefruit knife all the time - the first one pictured. It is quick and the curved serrated blade fits the rind easily, making it easy to spoon the sections out.
    I'll have to try broiling them!

Draft saved Draft deleted