What is this?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by beastwar, Nov 16, 2014.

1. beastwar

beastwar New Member

Hello Forum,

I would like to know what item the attached picture depicts. I have scoured the internet for an answer, but have found none. It is not a door porter, candle extinguisher, paperweight, chalice, plate cover, or sanctum bell. Please contact me as soon as possible with any ideas.

Thank you,
    James Glazar

Attached Files:

2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

You are showing two objects. One very small picture from only one angle is a bit limiting. What do they look like under the bell part?

3. beastwar

beastwar New Member

I only have one picture. I do not own these items.

4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The top portion looks like a bottle opener, but that seems unlikely.

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Beastwar (James) -- how large are they?

Figtree, you may be on to something. It could be a bottle opener with the bottom part being a "jigger" of some unknown (at this point) quantity/size.

Now I'll go ahead and post all the questions I had to start with before (thankfully) the "machine" informed me that posts had been made as I formulated/typed my questions.

Are these two separate and distinct (different usages?) items?

What are the height dimensions of each?

Could they have been somehow (even if a piece is now missing) joined together to form one item originally?

In the photos it looks like the rim of the "bowl" of the shorter item is a bit larger in circumference at the "lip" than the tall one's "bowl." Is there a difference in the circumferences of the two rims?

Are there any symbols of any sort on either the larger or smaller one?

Does it look like either or both had a "clapper" in the past which might have been removed/lost?

In the photos it looks like the rim of the "bowl" of the shorter item is a bit larger in circumference at the "lip" than the tall one's "bowl." Is there a difference in the circumferences of the two rims?

6. yourturntoloveit

"I only have one picture. I do not own these items."

Was there a description or name of the article(s) of any sort given with the photo?

7. beastwar

beastwar New Member

Thank you for your help, yourturntoloveit. I will try to answer your questions as best as possible, but I too know little about these items.

These items appear to be about as large as a hand-held bell instrument.

The two items likely work in the same manner.

The height of the tallest seems to be no taller than 1 foot. The shortest seems to be only a few inches tall.

The item is complete. There are no missing pieces.

I cannot discern any helpful markings on the object.

The diameters of the two items seem to be very similar, if not the same.

Just try to think of any item that comes to mind. I am taking an online quiz and can verify if your guesses are correct.

Thank you for your help!
    James

8. beastwar

beastwar New Member

The only description is that the item works as some kind of apparatus. So we know that it had some purpose.

9. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

???????????????????????????????:confused:

10. spirit-of-shiloh

Is this the National Academic Championship???????

yourturntoloveit and Figtree3 like this.
  11. yourturntoloveit

Okay, apparatus being a catch-all (or almost) phrase -- here's another question.

Even if on only one side of each item (the side not photographed) are there tiny holes in the bowl (either all over or contained in a small "design")?

You may be sorry (just kidding) that you referred to this as a "quiz" of some sort. ;) Figuratively speaking, I cut my teeth on (and sharpened my tongue by) asking questions. :shame:

12. beastwar

beastwar New Member

It looks like there are no holes. It seems solid throughout.

13. beastwar

beastwar New Member

Yes, it is. It is not against the rules to ask others for help on the questions. In fact, it is encouraged that we use any and all outside resources to answer questions.

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  14. spirit-of-shiloh

http://www.qbwiki.com/wiki/National_Academic_Championship

A tournament run by Chip Beall's Questions Unlimited since 1983, the National Academic Championship was the first high school national tournament involving normal teams (the National Academic Super Bowl preceded it but used county-based all-star teams).

The tournament is almost universally avoided by serious quizbowl teams due to its inferior question quality and myriad other issues (see below). In 2013, no teams who participated in NSC and no team who finished in the top 100 of the HSNCT participated in the NAC.

15. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

so this is a group test???????????????????????
    dome with handle, unknown size other than apparent relative size of 2 unknowns. could be anything for single cheese it cover to full plate cover.........

16. spirit-of-shiloh

You said NOT a sanctum bell....so how about porter bells?

17. spirit-of-shiloh

Now I am going krazy,LOL, thought that maybe a trick question?

18. beastwar

beastwar New Member

Perhaps some kind of musical instrument? A chinese glockenspiel?

19. beastwar

beastwar New Member

The answer length is 21 characters, including spaces, commas, dashes, and other marks

20. spirit-of-shiloh

2 chromatic octave set

chromatic octave sets

Draft saved Draft deleted