Featured What is This Thing?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by morgen94, Sep 15, 2024 at 11:01 PM.

1. morgen94

morgen94 Well-Known Member

I have no idea from where I got this or how long ago, but I probably bought it at an estate sale. As I rummaged through baskets and boxes of things here I found this and have no idea at all what it was for. Can you help?

Thank you!

BoxOfTinesOpen.jpg BoxOfTinesTapeMeasure.jpg BoxOfTinesClose.jpg BoxOfTinesInsideClose.jpg BoxOfTinesLabel.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. morgen94

Debora,

Thank you SO much for the speedy identification.

At your suggestion, I counted the combs and I do have twelve of them. Now to find a grain-painted box to show how they were used...and I might even find one of those buried in here, too.

This forum is an invaluable resource with remarkably knowledgeable members.

Many thanks!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Those are seriously cool. I'd bet anyone doing antique furniture restoration would be all over those.

5. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

6. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

My grandmother's house had grain painted doors and a staircase. When I was a kid, I used to marvel at them!

7. morgen94

FYI, I researched Henry H. Taylor's business and found in the mid-1800s he was a merchant selling primarily cutlery. For much of the late 1800's, I saw pretty much just cutlery-related articles and classified ads for his business. I then saw mention of his business in Sheffield and in NY. As my prior home was in a bedroom community for NYC, I assumed I must have purchased this set at an estate sale in that area. Something I read of breakups of the business with his brother then led me to search for information on Henry Taylor Ltd. and I found the much-later ad you see here. This was the first mention of artists' tools I saw:

HenryTaylorLtdArtistsTools1932.jpg

The partial label on my set looks older than 1932, however, but evidence is leading me to believe it may quite not be Civil-War era, as I first thought.

Thank you all again for the help with this rabbit hole...and time for bed now

8. morgen94

Last edited: Sep 16, 2024 at 2:29 AM
  9. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I had a set in near perfect condition a couple of years ago.
    No takers on eBay and outside sales.
    It went to the scrap metal pile

mirana, wlwhittier, Figtree3 and 2 others like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Our first house, purchased in 1977, had a metal foam core front door. The builder painted the inside to look like it was wood. I assumed they faked the grain with brushes. After we lived in the house for awhile, I found an error toward the bottom of the door. That's what made me think they used brushes. Unless the painter had one of these sets.

Figtree3 and morgen94 like this.
  11. morgen94

Ugh…I am so sorry to read that…not because I want to sell mine (I don’t; I would like to donate it somewhere), but because of the lost history. That was why I was happy to see one in a museum collection.

wlwhittier and Figtree3 like this.
  12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

How interesting! I hope you find a home for this set, @morgen94 .

wlwhittier and morgen94 like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Is yours stamped on the other side like this?

Debora

2004.0050 A.JPG

wlwhittier likes this.
  14. morgen94

No, I recently saw that online, but in a quick look at mine I didn’t see that. The only confirmation of a link to Henry Taylor is the partial label, where you can see ‘Henry’ and part of what is surely ‘Sheffield.’

What baffles me are the letters above Henry: “…meba…” and “…ch time”

wlwhittier and Figtree3 like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Only a guess but... I would think yours is earlier than those with stamped cases. Perhaps after the opening of the New York office when labels proved too fragile for cross-Atlantic shipping. The company is still in business. Why don't you ask them?

https://henrytaylortools.co.uk/

Debora

16. morgen94

Fabulous idea. I will certainly do that, thanks.

wlwhittier likes this.
  17. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

They are quite common here, even though I'd never seen one before.
    I only live 60 miles from where they were made.
    A few on eBay, no takers.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...omb&_sacat=0&_odkw=metal+grain+comb&_osacat=0

morgen94 and Figtree3 like this.
  18. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Along with the tools, a specific skillset would be necessary to produce the desired effect...not something you could have without spending plenty of time in practice...an' in clean-up of the not-so-well accomplished early lessons!

morgen94 and Figtree3 like this.
  19. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

In my business we have a Paint Department and Scenic painters. A big part of their skillset is painting things to look like what they're not. I imagine a set like this would be of curious interest to one of them. I'd certainly love to have one if that was my department, but the stuff I have to fake paint in my department is usually smaller....... I might keep an eye out for one anyway. :artist:

Draft saved Draft deleted