Featured What is This Small Porcelain Figure of Man in Tricorn with a Dog

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vintagerobin, Nov 24, 2023.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

This came in a box of mostly buttons my mother gave me. I could only find one like it. It was on Worthopedia and sold for $127 six years ago. Theirs was marked with the Meissen crossed swords and an incised number. Mine is marked with a red R and a printed number.

It's missing a loop of the dog's leash but the other one was missing more.

Any idea what this is? Thanks!

100_8374.JPG 100_8376.JPG 100_8377.JPG 100_8378.JPG

Figtree3, judy, Any Jewelry and 2 others like this.
  2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

There's much action in that little thing. A shame the leash has broke.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It is charming.
    There is also a small chip off the coat, at the back.
    Probably more than the chip too.;)

vintagerobin likes this.
  4. vintagerobin

It's actually a manufacturer's chip. The gold trim goes into the chip.

The other one I found that was marked as Meissen was much better made. So, I don't think this one is Meissen. I think it may be a repro of some kind.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/tiny-antique-meissen-figurine-hunter-1957730844

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. vintagerobin

6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Dang, the date 1762 rings a bell, but apparently my brain isn't answering. From the size it might be considered a toy or a miniature. It isn't Meissen, but a copy. Very cute.

Figtree3 likes this.
  7. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

the subscription based data base I use says the mark is: "porcelain decorating studio (Germany) ca1910-1930s." The PMM site is certainly excellent, the one I use I think is very good so I dunno.

Figtree3 and vintagerobin like this.
  8. Chris Marshall

Chris Marshall Well-Known Member

I find it peculiar that they are sure it's some German decoration studio AND offer a dating period ... but do not provide a name. Sounds and smells like bullshit to me. Challenge them to PROOVE their claim; I doubt that they are worth whatever they charge you.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
  9. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

Well my first guess was asian Chris. On your site I dont think you have made any assertion one way or the other. Do you have a guess?

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted