What is this? Small decorated ceramic with wood and copper

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Carnivant, Jul 27, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

This is something I acquired long ago because I thought it was interesting; however, I have never been able to find any information on it. Not only am I lost on its origin or age, but I am not even sure what its purpose would have been. It is about 9 cm tall, so not tall at all. The base colour of the ceramic is the orange in the design. And I am not exactly sure how the ceramic and the wood are connected together, but this thing is completely stable.

So... does anyone have any thoughts on this? :)

20240727_123303.jpg 20240727_123329.jpg 20240727_123335.jpg 20240727_123350.jpg

kyratango and lovewrens like this.
  2. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

This one is similar but all wood

upload_2024-7-27_14-58-16.png

Boland, pearlsnblume, Marote and 2 others like this.
  3. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting looking. How long is ‘long ago’?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the fish w/ cross motif, I suspect it's a modern chalice.

Debora

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

OP's chalice doesn't look Kuba to me. Both the motifs and the material are not like Kuba items I know.
    Ditto.

kentworld likes this.
  6. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Perhaps modern. For now, I use it as a holder for some skeleton keys. Might never get an exact attribution, but I still like it. Thank you all for your comments!

Would have been around eight years ago (fairly early on when I started regularly going to thrift stores, so long for me, at least). I like to buy weird things to research, but this is one of the few I've found absolutely nothing on.

I agree that it doesn't look Kuba. While I love the mixed materials on this piece, I haven't found any Kuba items like this.

Boland and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted