WHAT IS THIS PIECE OF FURNITURE? SADDLE HOLDER?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by journeymagazine, Apr 7, 2020.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

This came out of a storage unit from a couple from Switzerland. There was also a lot of vintage horse show plaques from Europe, horse breeding paper work & a nice saddle.
    A saddle holder is the only thing I can think of that this would be used for; and the bottom compartment is for tack & supplies?
    But why does the top angled roof like piece rotate?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

FURNITURE SADDLE HOLDER 1AA.JPG FURNITURE SADDLE HOLDER 2AA.JPG FURNITURE SADDLE HOLDER 3AA.JPG FURNITURE SADDLE HOLDER 3AAA.JPG FURNITURE SADDLE HOLDER 5AA.JPG

2. flipper

flipper Striving to face adversity with tact and humor

I think that is a very good guess.

The angle seems a little harsh...as if rounded a little would make more sense.

Sandra, Christmasjoy and wildrose like this.
  3. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

I would guess it rotates to prevent the creation of hernias and back injuries when removing heavy saddles.:bag::bag:

Siblye and Christmasjoy like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

@SBSVC??? Any input??? IF that's what it's for, and I've never seen one like this, my thoughts would be to make it easier to clean various parts of the saddle.....but I'm also thinking the whole thing seems a bit low......JMHO! EDIT: But then, @journeymagazine, you didn't give the actual height either!!!?????

Christmasjoy likes this.
  5. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

Saddle rack seems reasonable. Haven't seen the rotating thing before. Maybe it's for working on the saddle. I've seen them with sharp angles, so that part wouldn't be unusual.

Christmasjoy likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does look like a saddle rack with tack box.

Debora

Christmasjoy likes this.
  7. journeymagazine

I'll get height tomorrow.
    It must be valuable - they brought it from Switzerland or Sweden

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2020-4-7_21-54-25.jpeg upload_2020-4-7_21-54-37.jpeg upload_2020-4-7_21-57-56.jpeg

lots are rounded.......but not all !!!!

Maybe it was a memento of a ride they took !!!

9. flipper

It seems like it is made to work on the saddle, as you could lock it into different positions at different angles to concentrate on a certain detail or area? I know some have a sharp top to them, I guess I was just thinking out loud that it didn't seem like the most ideal design...

Sandra and Christmasjoy like this.
  10. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

It wouldn't really matter if the top were a sharp angle, because the weight would be carried by the pads on the inside of the saddle lower down. In the photos it looks like there might be some wear in the area where that weight would be born and the friction would occur when taking and replacing the saddle. If you have physical access, you could look for hair, sweat, or horse smell.

Aquitaine and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. journeymagazine

I'll have to ask my friend because I didn't buy it; I told him I'd let him know after I found out what it was. I did buy this old magazine rack table made of a nice looking wood (what is it?) for $20 since he'd brought them for me to look at - does anyone know what the label used to say? Was this a better deal? (I can get the other piece for same but it's bigger & I have so much stuff there's little room left!

FURNITURE MAFAZINE RACK TABLE 1AA.JPG FURNITURE MAFAZINE RACK TABLE 1AAA.JPG FURNITURE MAFAZINE RACK TABLE 2AA.JPG FURNITURE MAFAZINE RACK TABLE 3AA.JPG FURNITURE MAFAZINE RACK TABLE 4AA.JPG

12. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

It looks like you have a rosewood canterbury ca. 1875. Condition looks good.

$20???? You stole it.

13. flipper

Wow! That looks pretty special...and I agree, $20 is a GREAT price.

kyratango likes this.
  14. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

15. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

anundverkaufen likes this.
  16. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Absolutely the better deal, how many folks stumble into an antique/collectible shop looking for a saddle stand? I'll answer that, zero.
    Agreed, very good buy.

i need help and anundverkaufen like this.
  17. journeymagazine

James Conrad - your right + I see them selling for around $100; otherwise I might be able to sell it here in Miami/S Fla - there are horse owners and ranches in the south part of our area.
    Now I have to look up Canterbury!
    Thanks all for all the help!

James Conrad likes this.
  18. flipper

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  19. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Still, that IS a very nice canterbury; with a little TLC it will really shine. I would expect to see a price hovering around $1K for this in a retail setting, perhaps even more depending on where and when.

Draft saved Draft deleted