What is this?Indian?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Kingjoker, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Kingjoker

Kingjoker Well-Known Member

DSCN2074.JPG DSCN2075.JPG DSCN2076.JPG DSCN2077.JPG DSCN2078.JPG DSCN2079.JPG Thank you for your answers

KingofThings likes this.
  2. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

Likely native/Indian, but native stone isn't my area of knowledge....
    I can come up with a name for this kind of thing, but others will have to comment on authenticity.....

KingofThings and Kingjoker like this.
  3. all_fakes

Kingjoker and KingofThings like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

could be a club head also, but the stone looks too porous ..

nothing to identify it as native made.......imo.

Kingjoker likes this.
  5. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

The stone looks like sandstone/siltstone.

Kingjoker likes this.
  6. all_fakes

I don't really have an opinion as to native vs. non-native, but an expert in native stone might.
    I did find a lot of interesting articles on what are commonly called "bannerstones" which is what this appears to be. If authentic, it is a type of artifact whose use is unknown.
    Even the experts disagree, many thinking they are atlatl weights, others clubs or axes, or purely ceremonial. One interesting article pointed out that atlatl weights had no need for symmetry; and there were many easier attachment methods than drilling a hole through them. The author had taught himself to use primitive technology, and found that uses such as spinning fiber were more likely - as a spindle-weight.
    http://www.thunderbirdatlatl.com/2007/11/08/bannerstones-and-how-they-relate-to-the-atlatl-2/
    A website with images and articles; one image looks very like the one seen in this thread, though of a different type of stone:
    http://www.bannerstones.com/p-bannerstones-from-the-terry-mcguire-and-ed-harvey-collections
    Interesting....

Kingjoker likes this.
  7. Steersman

Steersman Well-Known Member

Yes, a bannerstone.

Another fairly scarce item in very good condition. Hole seems very true. I'd check the inside of the hole for drill marks.

Again, provenience?

Kingjoker likes this.
  8. Kingjoker

DSCN2082.JPG DSCN2083.JPG DSCN2041.JPG DSCN2042.JPG DSCN2072.JPG DSCN2064.JPG DSCN2057.JPG I got them in a collection some have stickers they all came in one box

9. Steersman

From a particular geographic region of the USA?

The 'armulet' and gorget don't quite look right to me. Is that a pipe? The two pendants are just stones with hole drilled in them. The last item is a sort of grooved celt or adze, but the shape, groove and raw material don't match any typical types known to me.

As I mentioned in your other post, the old fakes are hardest to tell. Can't say for sure without handling them, but I'm suspicious.

That said, they are interesting objects, made by a fairly skilled person.

Kingjoker likes this.
  10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3rd one down is a skull craCKER FOR SURE.

Kingjoker likes this.
  11. Kingjoker

I got it in PA

12. Steersman

That one looks suspicious too. The shape isn't quite right for a skull cracker, but it's close. Both ends are typically identical. The material looks like steatite or soapstone.

Back in my relic-making days, I'd buy old soapstone bedwarmers to saw up and carve. A carpenter's steel 4-in-hand rasp works nicely. The relic shown looks like it has abrasion grooves.

Kingjoker likes this.
  13. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I have no info or relevant comments about any of the items in the collection, just a weird comment.

I thought the first item was a Japanese ikebana vase until I had scrolled down far enough to see the tape measure, LOL.

Kingjoker likes this.
  14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

The stones with drilled holes could be fish net weights.

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Could it be a modern-style pen holder?

Draft saved Draft deleted