What is this glass jar for?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by drg642, Apr 10, 2018.

1. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

This is about 6 inches tall, ribbed, beehive shaped, with a hole at the pointed end, and a screw top tin lid at the other end.
    I saw some insect traps that were a little similar, but the few that had screw tops did not have them on the bottom end of the jar. I also though some kind of animal feeder?
    What do you all think?
    bee1.JPG
    bee2.JPG
    bee3.JPG
    bee4.JPG
    bee6.JPG bee9.JPG

AJefferson likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Looks like a sugar shaker. I'm not sure how you'd keep the sugar from pouring out when you filled it.

AJefferson likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Finger? They are useful things.;)

4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know what this is, but with something alluring inside, it would make an excellent trap for cockroaches!

5. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

As an insect trap, I don't see why the fly wouldn't be able to fly back out once it had sampled the sweet stuff inside. If the hole is big enough to get in, couldn't they just get out that way.
    As a sugar shaker it doesn't make sense either. Sure you could figure out a way to unscrew the bottom to fill it without spilling sugar, but, why design it this way?

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe the tip had a cork or rubber stopper at one point ..?

we see a whack o' stuff here that looks strange....because they're missing pieces....:wacky:

aaroncab and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

Anything that can crawl up glass could get out again, but not all insects have this ability.

8. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

97237BD2-1F9E-495C-894B-839EA9208D0E.jpeg
    Advertised as bee trap.
    Of course not the same but you might find yours now.
    Bronwen wins again!
    And Komokwa!

9. Bronwen

Bronwen is sorry to say she has had much too much experience with what attracts & traps creepy crawlies. Things like this are probably more effective than all the roach motels in the world. Ones around now are the descendants of ones that never checked in!

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  10. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

I like the idea of the screw off bottom for emptying on the one posted.

Bronwen likes this.
  11. Bronwen

The bee trap I imagine uses sugar water to attract & drown them (flies too) & then you pour them out.

Once had a weird episode when a big fat bumblebee got in, really cannot fathom how, & was thrashing around in the bathtub when I got home one night. It was struggling because there were a couple of inches of water in the tub (what was it doing there?), home to Wilhelmina, a western painted turtle, who saw a meal, if she could only catch it.

I couldn't find anything ready to hand suitable for fishing the poor thing out. Not knowing how long bees can tread water, nor wanting bee & turtle to tangle, did not want to take the time to go to the kitchen for something better, so worked with what I could grab. Took several attempts; it kept startling me by buzzing & vibrating furiously every time I began to lift it out & I would drop it again. Third time I knew what to expect & got it into the sink, where it could work at warming up & drying out while I did get something to use to put it out.

Afraid it did not survive. It had no doubt found its way in because the autumn nights were becoming chilly, but wanted to give it a chance.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  12. komokwa

I make wasp traps out of 2 liter plastic bottles.....
    wasps check in...& they never check out !! :hilarious::hilarious:

Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  13. komokwa

I have a bumble bee stuck in my ceiling fan housing.....
    it's been there half in half out of a small hole....since ...I can no longer remember.

14. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

this is very similar to the bottom filled 'bullet sugar dispenser' made by Paden City Glass.
    [​IMG]

15. Bronwen

Guess inside every fat bee is a thin one waiting to get out.

Huntingtreasure and komokwa like this.
  16. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

I think it is most likely a bottom filled sugar shaker. The hole in the top is too small for bees, wasps, and probably even flies. Thanks everyone. I'll report back if I find anything else on this. There are a lot of bullet sugar shakers, but I haven't seen this exact one yet.

Any Jewelry and Huntingtreasure like this.
  17. drg642

drg642 Well-Known Member

Saw a few on worthpoint when I searched beehive sugar shaker. It had a metal insert through the top that kept it covered when not in use.

Any Jewelry and Huntingtreasure like this.
  18. AJefferson

AJefferson Well-Known Member

Or on the palm of the hand while you are holding it. :woot:

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted