What Is This Copper Cooking or Heating Thing Lion Head Handle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by cxgirl, Jan 31, 2015.

1. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I've had this for a while, trying to figure out what it was used for. I think it would have been used for warming food, but I'm not sure.
    The little space in the centre is 4 1/4"W x 3 1/4"L , the piece itself is 6" x 4 3/4" x 5 1/2"H. There is a rim around the inside, for maybe a top to place the food on. The piece inside can't be removed.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    Thanks for looking.
    DSC01355.jpg DSC01356.jpg DSC01359.jpg

2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Just conjecture since I have no direct knowledge about this..... Does look like it should have a glass insert for food. However, if there was a burner in the insert, I would think that there might not be enough draft to keep it burning as constructed. Could have been to hold ice to keep food cool.

3. cxgirl

cxgirl Well-Known Member

This could have had a glass insert to hold ice. Something would have sat on the rim - there is 1/4" space between the insert and the rim.
    I agree, not enough space for something with a flame, I had though coals, enough to warm a plate on top.

4. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

I think for ice, too.

Fill it with ice, then put a thin plate on top. And then put cheeses or oysters or cold cuts on top of that...

I'm getting hungry, now...

cxgirl likes this.
  5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I just see it as dressing for a plain terra cotta pot

6. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I think Terry might be right. I bought an "antique" elongated one in Amsterdam from a flower market. I gave it to my church to use to hold the charcoal and incense for the thurible.
    greg

Draft saved Draft deleted