What is this called?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Armando0831, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg I got this at thrift store for $10. It appears old but I'm not sure what it's called. The top opens up. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Looks like a sewing stand. I am wondering it the box is a marriage to the stand and base?
    greg

3. Armando0831

I don't know, how would I be able to tell? I can take more pictures of the underneath after work today. My kids use it to put the mail in after they get out of school, it stands next to the front door. I noticed the bottom has square opening and a lip, where it appears that a piece of glass or wood would lay.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    The opening on the bottom sounds like galvanized tray would fit to catch the dripping from umbrellas. The base and stand may have started out as a hall stand/tree. The wood coloring looks so different and the style of but it maybe the photos. A photo of the piece outside in the light may show it in a better light.
    greg

5. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Could it possibly have had at some point metal "liners" in the two openings at the bottom so that it could double as an umbrella stand at a (front?) door?

6. yourturntoloveit

yourturntoloveit Well-Known Member

Great minds . . . . LOL

gregsglass likes this.
  7. Armando0831

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Here are more pictures. It does appear that the top was added later. There are holes on the four corners of the top where it was secured down. On the back board, there's appears to be old screws made of wood.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  8. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

Adjustable lectern?

9. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Armando - you haven't given a height. That might help determining use.

I'm personally lean toward the marriage of the base (which started life as an umbrella stand) and the box at the top having been salvaged from life as a personal writing desk. See the rectangular shape center back which is lighter in color than the rest? Looks to me like that space used to be a pen holder and has been filled in during the marriage.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted