What is this bowl?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by curious1, Jul 8, 2018.

1. curious1

curious1 New Member

(Posted in the wrong area before - newbie error!)
    I need help identifying this bowl please. Any info regarding who made it and how (hand painted?, gilded?) would be very much appreciated. I know next to nothing about the field
    The bowl has an incised numeral one on the bottom; otherwise no marks.
    Thanks for any assistance.

Attached Files:

2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

We need a picture from the top and also one of the bottom. It looks like R. S. Prussia lily bowl.

dgbjwc and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. curious1

curious1 New Member

Many thanks. I have attached top and bottom photos. Does "lily bowl" refer to the shape? Were these bowls not made as parts of china service, but rather serving pieces on their own? Were they hand painted? If you would rather not go into such detail, I understand, but if you have time to share your knowledge, I'd be grateful. Thank you again.

Attached Files:

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Welcome to our forum!!! :happy::happy::happy:

I agree with Janet, definitely unmarked RS Prussia bowl. Here is more done in the same mold with a different design.

https://christiescurios.com/products/rs-prussia-master-berry-bowl-set-lily-mold-29-rose-decor

https://www.google.com/search?q=rs+...QQ&biw=1920&bih=854#imgrc=_&spf=1531100674715

Also here is some information on this type of porcelain.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/remarkable-porcelain-r-s-prussia-147950

Just as an FYI, I have this same bowl in a different design. It is my only piece of RS Prussia & will likely always be the only piece. I fell in love with it at an auction about 8 years ago & it still makes me smile every time I look at it in the cabinet.

5. curious1

curious1 New Member

This is so fascinating. Thank you for all the information. It's satisfying to have this mystery solved, and I appreciate the time and expertise you and the other responders gave to do this.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Much porcelain was made without trade marks before the US required place of manufacture be marked permanently on the wares, ca 1909. RS Prussia was one of those companies.

7. curious1

curious1 New Member

That is most interesting. Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted