Featured What is this beauty? Scarf clip/slide? Also stone ID?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by J Dagger, Aug 21, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

My only guess is a scarf slide/clip. Would love a confirmation.

Also if anyone would like to take an educated guess to the stone type I’d like to hear opinions. I believe the other stone is onyx. The center stone is the one in question.

I have had it a while and I’ve been wondering about it. I strongly believe it’s gold but I don’t recall it being marked. 53F3BD71-0705-4B5B-A9D1-CBE532BC1F43.jpeg 5771A9E0-083F-488D-A12C-2A87008844BF.jpeg 67624576-4C82-4306-9733-B612E527C591.jpeg 01896B70-89CE-4E15-9DF1-648B986E12E3.jpeg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I was going to say it looks like it could be real. The center could be synthetic sapphire or a lab pink topaz. I can't see them putting a real one into an unmarked setting. That said, who knows. I'd run a gem tester over it. Good lab sapphires will ring up as the real thing , so this might require a good jeweler eyeballing it in person.

3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

In the top photo the stone appears to have inclusions,the pink stone's bezel looks like something is wrong with the bezel.

J Dagger likes this.
  4. Red6

Red6 Member

I think it could be a spinel.

nastina.nastea and J Dagger like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

How big is it? Looks Edwardian.

J Dagger likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Can you have both stones tested? Black glass can look a lot like onyx.
    Ditto?

There is a little knob on the back which doesn't seem functional at the moment. Maybe it was something else before, converted to a clip of sorts?
    Agree, it could be early 20th century.

7. Ownedbybear

I suspect it’s one of those weird Edwardian button thingies.

J Dagger likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

9. J Dagger

I also believe that it’s likely Edwardian. 1900-1950 at least for a larger range. Off the top of my head I’d say it’s roughly half dollar sized.

10. J Dagger

The knob catches the latch/clasp. I only have a diamond tester.

Gus Tuason and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. J Dagger

Button thingy? Can you help me figure out what you’re referring to?

12. Ownedbybear

There’s all sorts of shirt and collar button covers, fasteners and substitutes, made in the nineteenth and early twentieth. This looks like one to me.

J Dagger and Dessert58 like this.
  13. J Dagger

Ah yes those thingies, I thought maybe you had something more specific in mind you couldn’t put a finger on. I okie what you mean though. Are you suggesting maybe the button would slide between the bars of this clasp? Trying to imagine how it could work.

14. Gus Tuason

Gus Tuason Well-Known Member

It looks good. If it tests gold then it may have a nice stone. I would look for tourmaline? The setting of the stone indicates a nice piece. I would vote for onyx as the backup stone. Start with checking whether or not it's gold and proceed from there.

J Dagger and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted