What is the pink thing?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Houseful, Apr 5, 2022.

1. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Small hand painted box 3x4 inches from Charity shop. I liked the persons knees! I just can’t figure out what the pink thing is, a fruit, a bird but it’s got fronds rather than feathers? Any ideas please and maybe where it’s from. There’s some text I just noticed, maybe it’s Russian. I’ll add another pic. Thanks.
    02F8A6AC-86D7-4D9E-A59A-4EA80FD7C361.jpeg 947B801D-5735-4F22-B239-84051D260B22.jpeg

Figtree3 and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. Houseful

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

4. Houseful

Thank you Debora, I thought it was a peach or maybe a flamingo!

5. Houseful

According to the link it seems that he has found a feather and he’s on a quest to return the feather to the Firebird.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if u show the words written under the boy.....we'll be able to say more about this Russian lacquer box..

Houseful likes this.
  7. Houseful

This is the best pics I can get.
    75BDA568-C75C-4CF2-9086-24ED792F8732.jpeg 4C1064CC-89C3-4C77-A5A7-0F2260C5F28E.jpeg

komokwa likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

KHOLUY. or Kholui..... town of mfg...

Figtree3 and Houseful like this.
  9. Houseful

Thanks Komo. I’ve just had a look online at some beautifully painted detailed examples, I’ve not bought one of these before. Mines not in those leagues but still a good buy at 50p.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It's a very attractive ware.

Debora

komokwa and Houseful like this.
  11. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The words in the middle say жар-птица, which is firebird in Russian. To the far right are the initials of the person who painted the box. I can't quite make out both letters.

Houseful, Bakersgma and komokwa like this.
  12. Houseful

Looks like NF for the painter. Thanks for the Firebird translation @Figtree3.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  13. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

You're welcome, @Houseful . :)

Houseful likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted