What is the finish on this antique Chinese Rosewood cabinet & how to maintain it?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by StormcrowMithrandir, Oct 3, 2022.

1. StormcrowMithrandir

StormcrowMithrandir New Member

I have recently acquired a few antique pieces and am trying to sort out in my head how best to maintain them. I have this (pictured) Chinese rosewood cabinet. Unlike a rosewood dining table that I have, there does not appear to be a lacquer or polished finish. I don't know what finish (if any) is on it. It appears to have quite a matte finish.

I am worried that if I try to wax or oil the item, I will end up ruining it as a result of using the wrong product. Does anyone know what I should use to maintain a nice lusturous finish on the wood and how often? Any recommended products would be great. I have heard reference to Howard's orange oil and feed-n-wax but I don't know if they would be appropriate for this type of wood/finish.

Thanks for any tips. 20221003_150608.jpg 20221003_150617.jpg

johnnycb09 and silverbell like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Bakersgma likes this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Lovely piece,and so handy !

StormcrowMithrandir likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

This is not a priceless antique. Agree that the finish looks dull and inadequate. Could see no harm in using the Howard's Feed and Wax. If you want to provide some additional finish to the piece, some Howard's Restor-A-Finish (Natural) or other similar oil finishes would do the trick. Once done, the feed and wax would be appropriate for maintenance.

Bakersgma and Ghopper1924 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted