What is it? small stone/sand statue

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by tyeldom3, Aug 24, 2014.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I've never seen these before until last week,( but that doesn't mean a lot, as I havn't seen a lot of things!), and I found 2 in the same day from 2 different sellers at the flea market. This one....I asked the guy what it was, and he said "that's 2,000 years old.....$10.", I moved on and ran into another seller that had a similar one, only in a different design of an animal. I asked how much, and the man said "$30.", I said "what?, what is it?", he said "I don't know, but it's old from the 1800's". I said "it looks like sand and resin". So anyway, curiosity got the better of me, and I went back to the first seller, and bought his. Just so I could find out from you wonderful folks, what the heck it is. ;):D
    DSCN2411.JPG DSCN2412.JPG DSCN2423.JPG DSCN2422.JPG

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

You were right. Crushed pebbles in a resin matrix. Popular tourist stuff from Mexico. My guess: '50s thru '70s.

I think its based on Olmec sculpture.

6rivets and tyeldom3 like this.
  3. tyeldom3

Thank you so much moreotherstuff! That is so nice to know. I knew it had to be something like that. It's funny how sellers say the wildest things to get a sale.:yuck::D:beaver:

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I think I've seen it called malachite (of course in small bits), don't know if it is or just the right color.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The colors look just like under carpet matting.

desperate_fun, tyeldom3 and kentworld like this.
  6. tyeldom3

LOL Silverthwait :joyful:
    Thanks SIS, I think you're right! Thank you.:)

7. User 67

User 67 Active Member

I think they still make them like that in Mexico. I don't know if the rust is that old, it can get rusty sitting out in the yard for a year where I live. Not sure if it is made with resin, or some sort of fiance method.

tyeldom3 likes this.
  8. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I like this stuff. Always have. It's colorful and well modeled with subjects that are exotic to me. I've seen Aztec calendars, Hawaiian Tikis, all manner of wall hangings. Wouldn't surprise me at all if it's still being made today. Don't know about its resale value though.

tyeldom3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted