Featured What is it Dept: Clear Spaceman in Space Suit

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by AntiqueBytes, Oct 18, 2023.

1. AntiqueBytes

AntiqueBytes Well-Known Member

ClearSpaceman1.jpg ClearSpaceman2.jpg Since the moon landing was about 54 years ago, thought I could slip this question in.

I know nothing about this. Have not been able to find out anything online. It's about five inches high. Made of clear plastic.

Tiffany or Faberge? :watching::bag::woot:

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

The acorn logo on the back should be a clue.
    Image searching with this did not help me.
    ClearSpaceman1.png

Figtree3, judy, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  3. AntiqueBytes

Thanks. But what is "Acorn" all about? Is that a known company?

judy likes this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

There's an "acorn" image in the middle of the spaceman's 'backpack'....I don't know if it's significant or not either!! Maybe someone might know???
    EDIT: I did try a bit of a search, came up with a name but when I clicked on it all I got was a blank page, BUT.....took a screenshot of the search page and was able to copy the scant info on "Acorn Gencon Plastics".....I 'think' the name changed to "GENCON" about the time of the Astronauts going up......the screenshot is below your image....."MAYBE" it could be of some help...or not!!! They did ALL kinds of molding from the little I saw.........

ClearSpaceman2XX.jpg

ACORN ENGINEERING.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2023
  5. AntiqueBytes

Wow, that's some amazing research. I think you nailed it.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Figtree3, Aquitaine and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. AntiqueBytes

It might be that they have nothing to do with plastic, but commissioned the piece.

My dad was in the industrial plastic/plaster/etc. business and he also was a skilled mold-maker, so I know this business pretty well. Acorn could have commissioned it from a little shop to associate their company with the moon landing.

Draft saved Draft deleted