What do you glass folks make of these? Are any of them American Brilliant?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by LovesVintage, Oct 20, 2020.

1. LovesVintage

LovesVintage reader of books and tea leaves

These were in the very back of the cupboard where my mom kept a slew of pale green depression glass dishes. I believe they were my grandmother's or great aunt's; my mother never collected cut glass as far as I know.

Plate diameter is 10".
    IMG_1471.jpg
    IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

I think I've identified this vase as being part of McKee's Innovation line. Does that mean it's American Brilliant Cut Glass? It has six sides and is just about 10 1/2" high. I'm so in love with it!!

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

This divided tray is about 10" long.

IMG_1479.jpg IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1482.jpg

I'd love to hear what some of you folks think these are, purely for my own knowledge and enjoyment. I didn't think I was particularly interested in cut glass but I'm finding that I have a whole new appreciation for the artistry involved in the old stuff.

DizzyDaff and judy like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

I'm far from an expert...so large grain of salt... 1 and 3 look pressed, not cut. 2 looks like recently made European crystal.

3. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

judy, patd8643 and LovesVintage like this.
  4. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I love the vase. Can you imagine a dozen roses in there? Gorgeous.

5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

3 looks like EAPC, an Anchor Hocking pattern that was in production at least until 2000.

LovesVintage likes this.
  6. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

You can tell if something is cut vs. pressed by looking and feeling along the edge of the design. If it looks and feels rounded over it is pressed. If it looks crisp and feels sharp it is cut.

I agree with was said about all 3 pieces above. The vase, if it were American Brilliant, would not have unpolished cuts (the frosted areas), all the cuts would be polished.

judy likes this.
  7. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Assuming the vase is McKee's Innovation, that is not considered part of the Brilliant period production. Innovation was cut over pressed, lime glass. Brilliant was cut blown lead glass.

LovesVintage likes this.
  8. LovesVintage

It sure would be great to attend a glass show or something so I could see and handle things, and start to get a feel for what’s what. Thanks for the input, everyone!

DizzyDaff likes this.
  9. Eric Haefli

Eric Haefli Active Member

Are these pieces cut glass or pressed glass? They don't appear to be cut glass. For example, the vase has some areas of cutting on it, but the rest of it appears to be pressed. I have pieces of glass that are like that where the piece is formed in a mold with creases that are "almost" cut in appearance and then flowers are etched/cut in places on the piece. Also, aren't there some pressed glass patterns that the manufacturer called "American Brilliant" pattern?

LovesVintage likes this.
  10. LovesVintage

I'm honestly not sure - I'm very new and am still learning how to tell pressed from cut, tbh. The leaves on the vase certainly look and feel cut to me, but yes: there are areas that are pressed as well. I got my info about McKee's pattern here: https://janvierroad.wordpress.com/2...ation-glass-that-was-truly-ahead-of-its-time/

Draft saved Draft deleted