Featured What did I get myself into? Dutch miniature vase?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by J Dagger, Jun 14, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

DBDA7C78-57A7-4638-99FA-5EE685A87E89.jpeg 2B95E98E-7F49-44F2-933C-EE5CC4F6881F.jpeg FD15F369-F0CB-468B-9C71-2F492CFDDB89.jpeg 522A55B3-ACEC-486B-BADA-2264DD9D69A8.jpeg 953CAF24-B101-490F-A3B4-3DEADB62FF59.jpeg Was browsing online listings late the other night when I came upon this little thing. Fell in love immediately with the handles. They remind me of something that I can’t put a finger on. They don’t seem to fit with the rest of the piece really but I love them. It was priced way above what I would typically pay. However it was one of those things I was afraid if I didn’t jump on it that it would be gone by the time I had thought it out. I didn’t want to regret not buying it and then figuring out it was special so I bought it risking figuring out it’s not special instead. The seller didn’t seem to be particularly knowledgeable on silver or antiques. Smart enough to charge an arm and a leg though. From the one photo with marks available it appears to be Dutch. It looks like the lion mark for .833 silver to me. Under that is either one of the sword marks or the export key mark I believe. The D most closely resembles the 1913 date mark to me. There may be more marks on it somewhere not shown. I couldn’t figure out the maker, that I would really like some help determining. Also what if anything are the handles imitating? Is it an ancient Roman design? It’s supposedly only 3” tall which seems oddly small to me. With the double handles it looks like a loving cup but the pierced rim would make it pretty ineffective. I guess it could be a little vase or just purely decorative. Anyways if anyone can tell me anything about it that would be nice! Hoping I didn’t screw the pooch on this one but I like it either way.

KSW, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  2. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

I can't help, but I sure wish someone who can will come along soon! This is really fascinating.

KSW, Bronwen and J Dagger like this.
  3. Generic_Lad

Generic_Lad Active Member

To me the handles look like they're imitating a ship's figurehead -- almost looking like a mermaid or siren

4. J Dagger

I think they are a form of mermaid. Good call on figurehead. Definitely has that look.

KSW and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I'd like to help, Dagger, but I think I need a better lighted version of the picture with the marks.

6. J Dagger

Whenever I end up getting it I’ll definitely get better photos of the marks!

7. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I don't know if this helps but I thought I would try lightening it :)
    DutchSilverBrighter.jpg

KSW, J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Ah. If you're posting the seller's pictures, I suggest waiting for the item (have you arranged a purchase?

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Was there ever a rococo revival?

KSW, Any Jewelry and J Dagger like this.
  10. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed.

11. J Dagger

I purchased the piece. In general I think that is wise and I typically do. On this one I was too curious to wait.

12. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The 'D' and the 'MC'/'MG' are Dutch pseudo-marks used by Rinze Jans Spaanstra, the official lion-passant looks like it probably has a '2' indicating at least .833 fineness, the key indicating export - might find other proper marks scattered...

Scroll down to the beginning of the second post on this thread:

https://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56948

~Cheryl

13. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

It's a bit largish for a miniature, though scale varies widely - doesn't mean anything, but ran through my two books on silver miniatures and didn't really find anything similar.

This sort of creepy miniature elderly couple on chairs is by the same maker, a bit over an inch and a half high, bearing 1904 London import marks (I keep expecting to see their tiny little feet start swinging *shudder*):

dutch-miniature-couple-1904-import-spaanstra-2 (1).jpg

dutch-miniature-couple-1904-import-spaanstra-1 (1).jpg

~Cheryl

Firemandk, patd8643, KSW and 8 others like this.
  14. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

Are you talking about that miniatures, like they are alive.[Good imagination and you love silver]Thank you.

15. J Dagger

Rad! Thanks Cheryl! Very, very helpful on the ID and link. Glad I went with my gut and nabbed this one up. Seems like the maker has a pretty good reputation and it should move if I go that route with it. It looks like a lot of his work is even smaller in scale, you’re correct. I’m pretty unfamiliar with the world of silver miniatures so to me 3” seemed pretty small already. This guy went really small though.

Those Dutch silver makers mentioned really went nuts with the pseudo marks. It’s crazy how many are on some of those pieces. They liked to copy pieces from throughout history it said so I guess these handles could be inspired by just about anything.

My guy (Rinze Jans Spaanstra) was Frisian. Don’t we have a proud Frisian here on the boards? It’s not you is it? Assuming it’s not someone should alert them to this thread.

Here is another cool miniature by RJS that I found.
    https://www.centraalmuseum.nl/en/creator/rinze-jans-spaanstra

That couple reminds of a movie called ‘Tales From The Hood’. If this mini makes you shudder definitely don’t watch it.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    KSW, PortableTreasures and Bronwen like this.
  16. J Dagger

Thanks for this!

17. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

JMHO.
    "after" medieval Gothic figures found on churches.

18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Proud part-Frisian, with a Frisian surname.:smug::playful:

The handles are probably based on ship's figureheads, like @Generic_Lad suggested. I have seen ship's figureheads used before on Frisian and Groningen silver.
    Both these northern provinces have a long maritime history, the cities were part of the Hanseatic league (Medieval trade in coastal northern Europe and the Baltic).
    Friesland later became very active in the Dutch East Indies trade, hence the Indonesian connection in my Frisian ancestry. A good marriage (with a daughter of the king/sultan who owned the largest private fleet in Dutch East India) equals good trading opportunities. A bunch of opportunists, my ancestors.:hilarious: The fleet and the money have all gone, btw. What remains are the stories, another type of wealth.:)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    Firemandk, patd8643, KSW and 3 others like this.
  19. Iouri

Iouri Well-Known Member

I liked your post. Nothing is eternal. History is eternal as long as people remember it. Thank you.

KSW, Bronwen, J Dagger and 1 other person like this.
  20. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Thank you, Iouri. I agree, nothing is eternal. And remembering history is why we are here on Antiquers.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted