What Decides the Value of a Morimura Brothers Vase?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vintagerobin, Sep 23, 2023.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

I have a tall antique vase with the M in a wreath and Nippon mark of the Morimura Brothers. Doing some research, I find that there are hundreds of vases made by them and no 2 are alike.

The prices are also very different. They go anywhere from $20 to several hundred. What makes the more valuable ones worth so much more?

I've attached several pics of my vase. It's in good condition except for wear to the gold on the trim and handles. I think this vase was well loved and used a lot.

100_7010.JPG 100_7012.JPG 100_7015.JPG

Any Jewelry and wlwhittier like this.
  2. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Sorry if you know this, but try to find similar on ebay sold listings. If you're looking at asking prices, people can ask any amount.

3. vintagerobin

I'm sorry, I should have said that I was looking at prices on Worthopedia.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what's that ?

5. vintagerobin

Worthpoint

komokwa likes this.
  6. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Ebay completed listings will give you a pretty good idea of relatively recent value.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nippon usually means it was made after 1890 and before 1921, if that's any help.

8. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

No 2 are alike because as it says on the bottom they were hand-painted. That might be really close but they aren't likely to be exactly the same.

Your vase is very pretty & I know there are a couple of members who would agree with me in that opinion. However, by Nippon standards, it is kind of plain. The ones that bring the big money are the ones that have extensive Moriage design or decoration.

This page from eBay shows you the high sellers & you will notice that other than that first vase (which is not very ornate but the Meji period thing kind of makes up for that) the next 20 are all examples of the Moriage design. Also, you will notice a lot of time size matters along with the presence of dragons & birds.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...ase+&_sacat=0&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1&_sop=16

JMHO

verybrad, Bakersgma and vintagerobin like this.
  9. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Ditto Baker- Some of the Nippon Moriage I recently researched from the late 19th cent to early 20th cent,are the most elaborate late Victorian/ Arts & Crafts ceramics I've ever seen.The better pieces are jaw-dropping.

10. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  11. vintagerobin

Thank you, bercrystal! That info helps a lot. I have a much better idea what matters on a Nippon vase now.

And thank you everyone else. The info given here is always good.

komokwa, verybrad and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted