What can anybody tell me about this lead figurine?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Rob Langdon, Feb 14, 2023.

1. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

It stands 3" tall and is hollow about halfway down with the cavity getting smaller as it goes. Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 9.41.55 AM.jpg Screen Shot 2023-02-14 at 11.05.21 AM.jpg

Attached Files:

komokwa and moreotherstuff like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

3. Rob Langdon

Rob Langdon Well-Known Member

Thank you. I wonder how old it is. It was found metal detecting, and appears to have been buried for quite a while.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

The original is very old, and copies have been made for a long time.
    Can you date it by other items found in the vicinity? Or maybe there used to be a house nearby, and you can look into the history.

Rob Langdon and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep.

Debora

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Troisieme pour mannequin pis.

7. Any Jewelry

Hey, the original language of Brussels, so the language of this manneken, is that of Brabant (yay!:smug:), a Dutch language.
    The language border has been shifting slowly over the last two centuries, with more parts of Brussels becoming Francophone. But for people in the old neighbourhoods of Brussels, Brabant Dutch is still their first language.
    So, in our Brabant language, very close to that of Brussels: Derde veur menneke pis.

Ever since ca 1400 Brussels has been the capital of all of Brabant, on either side of the Belgian-Dutch border, so the city is close to my heart.

As an aside, with the language shift Belgium has lost nearly all Walloon speakers. A shame that they are losing a truly Belgian language.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2023
    kentworld, Ownedbybear and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted