Featured What are these?...

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Erik Aunapuu, Aug 14, 2024.

1. Erik Aunapuu

Erik Aunapuu Well-Known Member

Hey folks!

I need your help with these two little pieces. I am struggling to identify what they are made for or what they are called. I understand that one is marked GAB which is a Swedish maker.
    Measurements approx. 5,5 cm (2.2 inches) x 4 cm (1.6 inches).

Thank you in advance :)

02a41b95-a5d2-4782-9209-43c4f8865037.jpg 71c2d150-58f4-411b-aec6-f83f1dfa49cb.jpg 504c047d-d7da-429f-a1c9-9ea209af3718.jpg c45d75d5-0438-475b-835d-8b5c799e8b66.jpg d4043c8e-eb00-4ec6-9870-c84019398573.jpg 5d22acb4-9a4f-45b2-a9ae-9ec117a6011d.jpg

bercrystal, Bronwen, komokwa and 3 others like this.
  2. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

are they calling card holders?

Bronwen and daveydempsey like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

So tiny. Can't imagine what their purpose would be. Do see that sellers of similars refer to them as "Victorian book form cases" which is terminology I didn't know.

Debora

Bronwen, johnnycb09 and Erik Aunapuu like this.
  4. Erik Aunapuu

Yep, it's a mystery to me. I did manage to learn something new in my search. 'Carnet De bal' - but I am not sure if these are...

Bronwen likes this.
  5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I agree Card Cases.

Bronwen, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Don't think it's a dance card. Too small. And too small for a card case, I'd think.

"Victorian calling cards were large and could be extremely ornate, with the names usually printed instead of handwritten. Women's cards were squarish and fairly large, usually about 2.5 x 3 inches."

Debora

DragonflyWink, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  7. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Could that have been from a Chatelaine ?

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I would think this was a dude's case given the Scandinavian name "Axel" (Axels likely being a possessive form of the name).

Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I dont see anything inside them to hold something ? Seems like whatever you put in there would slide out when you opened it.

pearlsnblume, sabre123 and Bronwen like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

11. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

As Debora already said, it's not a calling card case, even the smallest would still be around 3" long, there were small aide memoires or dance cards made, but they were typically intended to hang, along with a pencil, from a chatelaine or finger ring. The small souvenir books like the one 2manybooks linked from Etsy typically had reference to the contents, even if just 'Souvenir', the accordion folded contents just glued in.

Those removable pins seem to point to contents that could be replaced, my first thought was perhaps a needle book, it's the right size, but those typically have the layers of fabric stitched in, like Gorham piece linked from Rubylane - would expect a needle case to belong to woman, but 'Axel' might have been a tailor. Honestly don't know what these pieces are, stamp box came to mind as well (but why the pins?) - perhaps they just had folded over paper for notes, held in by the pin...

Here is a later (1902) GAB version in silver rather than nysilver, the outside design is the same, but has different clasps and there appears to be two rings in the center that would have held a now missing pin, the engraved name 'Thyra' would be feminine:

https://www.tradera.com/en/item/202203/634408792/silver-bokparmar

GAB-silver-book-1902-1.jpg

GAB-silver-book-1902-2.jpg
    ~Cheryl

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they're cool......

13. Erik Aunapuu

Thank you Cheryl for such a detailed response. I am very thankful!
    Thanks to others as well, this was helpful :)

14. Shangas

Shangas Underage Antiques Collector and Historian

Definitely not card cases. Pull the pin and all your cards are on the floor. Whoops!!

Also not an Aide-Memoir. They'd have ivory sheets or celluloid sheets inside.

Book cover or notepad cover seems to be the most likely possibility.

15. Red6

Red6 Member

Prayer holders?

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have a small, metal "book" that held a tiny rosary. My mother gave it to me when I was 6 or 7. It was similar in size, however, it wasn't flat like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted