What are these long vtg wood handled metal hand tools?

Discussion in 'Tools' started by Robin L. Kiskunes, Jan 28, 2024.

1. Hi guys,

I have these long wood handled tools from our tool cabinet and would like to know what these are used for? Are these wood working tools??

DSCN1244 Top Front Tools2.jpg DSCN1239 Tool Backside5.jpg DSCN1233 Top Close up Tools3.jpg DSCN1241 Tool Sideways2.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

It's funny that we are so far removed from lawn and garden maintenance that these tools are loosing their use.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

[​IMG]

I still have one with a 4 foot pole......but it's the one above that I use now......

weeds, run like hell when they see me coming !!!:playful::playful::playful::playful::eek:

5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

When I was a kid, Saturday mornings helping dad, it was one of my jobs in the spring.

I still use an old screwdriver to pop up a few, but not nearly as often. :cool:

Screen Shot 2024-01-28 at 11.19.23 AM.png

6. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Their 'use' hasn't been lost, RT...there are still lots of dandelions (one of my most favorite flowers, an' 'puff-balls). The issue is that those tools, which I grew up in intimate an' repeat familiarity with due to 'first-hand' usage, are so unrecognizable that they appear, with many pics, in this forum for identification! Really hard to wrap my head around, y'know?

7. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Yum.........Dandelion greens with a cup of dandelion root tea!

[​IMG]

komokwa, johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I lived in a duplex in Denver and being an arid climate grass had a hell of a time growing without constant watering. But I watered mine every day and had a lovely green patch of lawn (and a high water bill) .In my little back yard (about 10x12 feet a patch of dandelions sprouted,so i let them grow and watered them too. It was so pretty . My Mexican neighbor lady over the fence asked me one day if she could have some and I said "sure,take all you want" .I knew people ate them but I never had. The next day she hands me a plate over the fence heaving with food,and had used them in one of the dishes. So tasty ! She harvested them the whole time i lived there. Such a nice lady too.

komokwa and Rayo56 like this.
  9. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

I make them just like I do collard greens - can't tell the difference they are so good. But it take alot to make a potful. I also make bamboo shoots in the spring and then vac pack and freeze them to last the year. it's free food from nature - why not?

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted