What Are These? Leather "Sofa" Chair Rockers.

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Logan09, Jun 26, 2015.

1. Logan09

Logan09 New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] To make a long story short these are from my neighbors house(Front porch hence the condition). The owners were in there 90's, and their parents owned the house and I believe these were theirs originally. Their nephew who is in his 60's said he remembers them always being there. They were pretty wealthy individuals.

Both are leather with what looks like Mahogany rocker legs. All pieces are there even though some popped off when moving. They're packed with burlap for the inside covering and to hold the springs in place. Horse hair, what looks like Down Feather(For cushions), Straw, Something else(Looks like dried roots of a plant hard to explain, have seen it before)and cotton.

I plan on attempting to reupholster them myself and keep them. Just curious as to what they are? Never seen something like these before.
    Thanks. 1435342759_tmp_IMG_20150626_111648570.jpg 1435342842_tmp_IMG_20150626_122814544.jpg

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

They look like someone took high backed overstuffed chairs with bun feet in the front, straight feet in the back, cut the back legs down and attached the rockers.

3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I have see large upholstered rockers before. Most I have seen have been from the 30s and 40s. If upholstering these for yourself, have at it. If for resale, probably not worth the time and effort.

We used to stay in a cottage in Canada in the Summer when I was a kid. There was a big rocker like this with an ottoman that looked out big windows onto the lake. It was a favorite place to sit and read for me on those rainy days I wasn't fishing.

yourturntoloveit, Logan09 and Pat P like this.
  4. Logan09

Logan09 New Member

Thanks for the replies. I guess it is possible that the rockers were added. But, I'm unsure. The finish and curved cuts are perfect. There were a lot of furniture makers here and it possibly could have been made for them. There was also a beautiful(at one time)tufted back leather sofa in the porch that I could have taken. But to much work.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  5. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

The rootish stuff is probably excelsior. And I do NOT envy you the job of reupholstery!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted