What are these 2 old portraits - Paintings? Photographs? Drawings?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Nov 10, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these 2 old portraits & am wondering what they are? Paintings? Photographs?
    They have a moving/storage tag on the back of each with a lady's name Babette Cole that I think was the owner/customer but when I googled Babbette Cole, Illinois and found this - maybe these are illustrations?
    Babette Cole obituary | Children and teenagers | The Guardian

What time period are they from? (look at that phone number on the tag!)
    Thank you for any information!

ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 3AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 5AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 6AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 7AA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 7BAA.jpg ART PAINTING ANTIQUE COUPLE OLD MAN & WOMAN 7DAA.jpg

pearlsnblume and mirana like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Babette Cole = born New York 1908, father Charles Waller (b. 1880), mother Carrie B. Strauss (b. 1885), married Gerald E. Cole who worked as an ad sales manager, reported as living in Ward 5 Chicago in 1940 census, last residence Miami, died 1995. Those are probably her grandparents. The use of the Butterfield telephone exchange dates the tag to pre-1960.

Debora

Last edited: Nov 10, 2023
  3. journeymagazine

What are they Debora?

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

They look like tinted photographs.

Debora

kyratango, Boland, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  5. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

These started out as B&W photos that have been colorized by over painting, likely with a watercolor and gouache. This is why it looks painted in some areas and photographic in others.

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I forget the term, but these are like those charcoal portraits you see... project a photo image onto paper and then it's a coloring exercise. I think pastels for the woman. I once had a beautiful full color set - husband wife and child - but that was back in the '70s, long before I started keeping photo records.

I had this picture of my great-grandparents. Measured about 16" by 20" as I recall.
    00000c.jpg

It was done from this photo, a typical CDV.
    00000ca.jpg

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

them are some creepy folk !!:eek::eek::p

8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

That is interesting MOS.

moreotherstuff likes this.
  9. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

10. journeymagazine

They are not collectible or valuable right? Because I think I'd rather sit them out by the mailbox & let someone pick them up rather than have them take up more space if no one will buy them - I've got 100s of framed items now!

11. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Being in that family is obviously serious business!

Draft saved Draft deleted