What age is this cutie and how should I describe her?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Elen Beattie, Mar 15, 2021.

1. Elen Beattie

Elen Beattie Well-Known Member

Hi all. This little rattle was among a lot that I purchased yesterday. I have done a little searching for info and see similar in the 'Ideal Kewpie doll' made in the USA. This one is marked 'RB' in a diamond on her back, Made in Canada. I have seen some of them described as being from the 1920s-30s but this one looks more like 1950s to me, what do you think? I don't think she is celluloid but can't be sure. Any ideas on the maker's mark and should I refer to her as a Kewpie doll? Thanks a lot :joyful:

image3.jpeg image0 (1).jpeg image1.jpeg image2 (1).jpeg

2. judy

judy Well-Known Member

In a very short search, I could not find the mark that is on this doll/rattle.

My initial thought when I saw the R and Canada, Relible came to mind.

She once had a ribbon in her hair...........

She is not a Kewpie, nor does she look anything like a real Kewpie.

She looks more to be a firmer plastic than celluloid.

Celluloid is very fragile, is hollow and dents very easily.

I really know nothing about Reliable dolls. In my search I did find a doll that does resemble yours.
    [​IMG]

https://www.dollreference.com/reliable_dolls.html

@sassafras & @Christmasjoy

Any Jewelry and i need help like this.
  3. Elen Beattie

Thanks for the info! Yes she is definitely not celluloid by your detailed description. I will look up 'Reliable' and see if I can find anything :)

judy likes this.
  4. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hope you are lucky.

Hopefully Sassy & Joy will have some info.

Elen Beattie likes this.
  5. Elen Beattie

No more info on this I'm afraid! If you had to guess, would you say she was 1950s? Thanks Judy :)

6. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I would think before WWII.

This was my father's piggy bank back in the early '50s:
    zzab.jpg

zz.jpg

I had other pieces with a similar mark as this, but never one marked like yours.

7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

8. Elen Beattie

Yes I thought so too thank you! I did find this: "Reliable is best known for their Canadian style Indians and Mounties dolls, they also licensed doll molds from other well known American doll manufacturer's, like Ideal Toy Company - Shirley Temple dolls, which they produced their own version, that was not licensed for export to the USA.". Perhaps they did the same with the Ideal Kewpie doll.

judy and say_it_slowly like this.
  9. Elen Beattie

Thanks for this, it is helpful! Perhaps mine is a little earlier than I thought then.

10. judy

judy Well-Known Member

@Elen Beattie 922+ Cameo Kewpie dolls were the sole licensed manufacturer of composition Kewpie dolls or figures, with distribution through Borgfeldt. Kewpie dolls have side glancing eyes, small blue wings on back, closed slight smiling watermelon mouth, molded painted top knot hair with a side wisp of hair on the sides of the head, jointed at the shoulders, starfish splayed fingers on hands, legs are molded together. All composition Kewpie dolls usually have a red paper heart label on chest: Kewpie Reg. U.S. Pat. Off., or Kewpie Design Pat. No. 43680 Reg. U.S. Pat. Off., Kewpie Des. & Copyright by Rose O'Neill, and some are signed on then............[​IMG]

BoudiccaJones likes this.
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter who else copied the Kewpie, the above photo is the Kewpie doll. Looks nothing like your doll/rattle because your doll is not one.

Your rattle might be from the 40's.....it could be the 50's. I don't think it makes much difference.

12. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Perhaps 1930's.............

This one is compo..........(from Reliable)

It's a Worthpoint sale, but for some reason I can't c/p.

Looks a lot like your plastic one.

13. judy

judy Well-Known Member

14. say_it_slowly

15. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Yes............Thank you..............my above link shows the doll, but not at Worthpoint.

16. Elen Beattie

Hi, thank you for your detailed info. I know mine isn't a Kewpie doll. It is just in the 'style of' as is the Ideal version.

17. Elen Beattie

Thanks- it makes a difference when you want to resell to give as accurate a date as you can. I know it's not always possible but it's worth trying to narrow it down a bit!

18. judy

judy Well-Known Member

LOL Elen!

I just can't see "in the style of" with any stretch of the imagination.

No wings, and no watermelon mouth or unusual spread of hands.

Here is how the Kewpie was created, if you are interested.......

https://timeline.com/kewpie-doll-rose-oneill-480de6506035

I hope I'm not irritating you.........just really want you to see the difference.

19. judy

judy Well-Known Member

I do know dates are important when selling. if you can be sure of them. When you can't, naming an era will help.

I used to enjoy selling on ebay.......now I do less and less. I think I've been selling since 1998. (Yes, I just looked it up, March 27, 1998).

Can't say it's the joy it used to be however.....for me anyway.

20. say_it_slowly

There are quite a few of the Ideal doll rattles that use kewpie in the title which was how I found it. I think it's probably another of the mis-used terms that persist once enough people start using it.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted