Featured What a shame. Somebody dropped off a bunch of Cut glass at the Thrift store

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Bdigger, Aug 26, 2024.

1. Bdigger

Bdigger Well-Known Member

Somebody just dropped a bunch of beautiful cut glass off at the thrift shop. They’re asking four dollars apiece. It’s a shame I don’t have room to scoop it up and keep it. It all looks to be in great condition too. A4A1F2D0-3502-4241-AAAD-670D14FC0C3C.jpeg 70090AA8-71D8-4424-A4FE-9A6C95D4C09F.jpeg

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
  2. Bdigger

If anybody has any ideas about that last piece the goblet with flared sides please let me know if you know what it is

pearlsnblume and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

From the title I was picturing a mass of shards on the floor.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Me too!

That odd goblet is a warmer.

Figtree3, ola402, Lucille.b and 3 others like this.
  5. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Same! :hilarious: Happy to be wrong!

I've been picking up more cut glass this year. I've been trying to be picky and keep to things I'll reasonably use and have space for, but when a Waterford biscuit barrel shows up... You just have to convince yourself you'll eat more cookies... :joyful:

Glass looks like a handblown bat or dragon wing goblet?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2024
    glassluv, Lucille.b, Marote and 3 others like this.
  6. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

One more person ready to exclaim "OH NO!"

The cut glass is always amazing to look at. I'm still tempted, but honestly I usually pass these days.

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Cut glass used to bring real money. Not it just brings headaches, although some folks will buy it for Pretty. Most of them immigated here from somewhere it wasn't common. I still have Grandma's wedding gifts and don't want more of it.

Lucille.b, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I have many of my Moms pieces....
    use one for my coins.......... the rest sit on the shelf...... where they'll stay till I die .

9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Not long ago I saw a gorgeous cut glass berry set in impeccable condition. 6 small bowls and a larger one. $7 for all. it killed me to walk away BUT ...

bercrystal, Lucille.b and Bronwen like this.
  10. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Ha I have no family pieces. Everybody was frugal and it's all pressed. A sprinkle of the carnival stuff I did get from them.

11. Bdigger

Yeah, I know it doesn't have any collector appeal anymore.. That's why I had to leave it. I was tempted to get the loupe out and check for signatures. But i would have felt worse if I found one. LOL But it sure was pretty.

johnnycb09 and Lucille.b like this.
  12. Bdigger

A Warmer? I've never seen anything like it. What does it warm?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  13. Bdigger

They also had 3 crystal Duncan Miller Swan Bowls there. $6.99 a piece. 20 years ago, I would have jumped on them. Bur not anymore. Sigh......

johnnycb09 and komokwa like this.
  14. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Ive got one in my garage ! LOL !

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

@Bdigger Why are your photos always sideways? Gettin' a crick in my neck.

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I thought it was an Ivy Ball vase.

dgbjwc likes this.
  17. Bdigger

I don't know. I tried to fix them, but couldn't. They look upright at first, but when I hit post thread they turn sideways. Maybe because I did it from my phone.

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I want to know what a 'warmer' is, too. I have a glass that's sort of the same style.

19. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

@Ownedbybear , a couple of the members above were asking what sort of warmer you referred to in your earlier comment.

mirana likes this.
  20. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Oh, sorry. Missed that! I think it’s a spirit warmer, I’ll see if I can find an example….

Figtree3 and mirana like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted