Featured What’s up with these andirons?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by J Dagger, Oct 4, 2021.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

9A1A0840-E404-4A1D-91FA-D539127302F6.jpeg 0DC0696A-27DC-4653-BDA2-2B9D84481AFD.jpeg EF60FCED-2701-48AA-9B2D-73249B897105.jpeg Potentially initials of a couple or am I way off here? A simple google of these letters and “andirons” provides no answer. I’m stuck. They came in a big lot. I have to imagine having a date on them gives them more desirability than the average worn out old andirons?

2. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

Where are you and where did you buy them, that may help :)

I wonder if HBH is an organization of some sort rather than a person's initials.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Those sure look like cannon balls to me.

judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  4. J Dagger

In the NE. I also thought that until after looking at them for weeks I realized the second of the pair has FRH instead of HBH. I noticed it the other way around though. Thought at first it may be Fire…something.

Edit: it was just an estate auction.

judy, Bronwen and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. J Dagger

Definitely, I assume that’s what they are imitating but I don’t think they are actual cannon balls. Edit: I could be wrong though.

6. Marie Forjan

NE = Nebraska? NE = North East? NE = New England? Are you in the US or is NE somewhere else? Sorry, I don't know where you mean.

Yes, I see now, FRH.

7. J Dagger

NE as in the north east.

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do you think they commemorate a marriage? FRH + HBH? Never seen such a thing but suppose it could happen.

Debora

9. J Dagger

That’s the only thing I can think of. Very open to suggestions but that was all that really came to mind after noticing the two separate sets of initials. Maybe someone will have a better idea.

10. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

And New England US or Australia?;)

11. Marie Forjan

He says North East, I assume that is North East US so New England, New York, New Jersey, etc. Quite a wide area, not a lot of help in trying to pin down where these could have come from.

Any Jewelry and Bakersgma like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So do I.
    Many posters use abbreviations that don't mean much to others, certainly not to people from different parts of the world. I would never say I am from NB or NL, because I don't assume everyone knows NB, or even NL.

As you pointed out, it is good to be clear about a location if that could be important information. And as I pointed out, even New England could be in different parts of the world.:) I have been to New England in Australia (northern New South Wales) but never to the one in the US, so my first thought goes to Australia.;)

New England, Australia:
    upload_2021-10-5_15-29-46.jpeg

bercrystal and Bakersgma like this.
  13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The shared last initial does support the possibility of a wedding gift.

Debora

J Dagger likes this.
  14. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Is there a wedding anniversary for which the "gift" is cast iron?

15. Marie Forjan

16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Iron wasn't on the list until 1937 when it was expanded to include 6th and 33rd anniversaries.

Debora

Bakersgma and J Dagger like this.
  17. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Believe it or not, I have a very similar pair in my basement.
    No shields with initials though.

J Dagger likes this.
  18. J Dagger

I totally thought you were joking until MF came up with a real answer.

Bakersgma likes this.
  19. J Dagger

I believe it. I think the “cannonball” type design is quite common.
    Edit: although after a google of “cannonball andiron” about 99.99999% have the cannonball atop a straight shaft. Mine and I assume yours have them on a hook so to speak. That’s not very common.

20. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

@J Dagger
    Okay, you may or may not find this amusing , but in the first picture , it's an optical illusion that makes one "Ball" look like it is standing up, and the other "Ball" is bent over , sorry, but in my retired Firefighters mind it reminded me of an old joke which cannot be posted here as it might offend......lol. I had to look at that picture 3 times till it dawned on me it was just the camera angle.......

Draft saved Draft deleted