Featured What’s this for…asparagus?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Studio Antiques, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Hi again! This is an old reed and barton serving piece. Monogrammed dates of 1885-1910, so think it might be a 25th anniversary gift. Believe the pattern is Heppelwhite.

it measure 6-5/8” so isn’t huge. Is it for asparagus or something smaller? Thanks again!!

D93619A0-D982-4468-A7A5-19850703F8CD.jpeg 9C9DD2D3-73B0-4F1C-B332-41DC4D3A5194.jpeg

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Does look like an asparagus server in the Heppelwhite pattern

3. Studio Antiques

Studio Antiques Well-Known Member

Thx Gma! Have a great Thanksgiving!

judy likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Sandwich tongs - also used small cakes, pastries, etc.

~Cheryl

reader, Msalicia, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

4E0E9FD4-9BF2-4048-A2E4-AABA48223ED4.jpeg Of the numerous types of asparagus tongs this type are my favorite. We just had asparagus for thanksgiving lunch. I should have broken mine out. The pictured are not mine just an example. Mine sadly are plated not solid silver.

bercrystal and reader like this.
  6. reader

reader Well-Known Member

IMO it’s not asparagus specific. The ones I’m familiar with are. I think it’s a general small server tong.

Fid likes this.
  7. DragonflyWink

Asparagus tongs, other than the individual place tongs, were generally fairly large with tines or piercing to allow some drainage, though manufacturers and retailers would call a piece whatever might sell it (and of course, the owner can use it for whatever they want). This style and size were usually called sandwich tongs, the solid side sliding under small sandwiches or other foods like petit-fours, etc., held in place by the other side, some larger tongs, often scissor-type, were also sometimes called sandwich or pastry tongs, but I've seen those more often in European silver.

From Osterberg's 'Sterling Silver Flatware for Dining Elegance' (1994):

osterberg-sandwich-tongs.jpg

~Cheryl

reader likes this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I found a fork-thingie similar to the set on the end in Cheryl's photo. It took a minute for my brain to connect, but the fork was for lox. The OP's doesn't look like an arparagus server, at least the ones I know. Those have grabbers that hold the spears perpendicular to the handle, if that makes sense. And they're curved.

reader likes this.
  9. DragonflyWink

Can't say I recall ever seeing a piece specified as for serving lox...

Perhaps you're thinking of individual asparagus tongs? Place pieces intended for a single spear...

https://www.google.com/search?q=ind...OAroQ_AUoAnoECAEQBA&biw=1536&bih=754&dpr=1.25

~Cheryl

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted