Featured Wewps..

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tiquer, Aug 28, 2024.

1. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

kentworld, kyratango and Ghopper1924 like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I saw something about it and could only think...HOW?

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I can . Why dont you have better control of your BRATS ????

4. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Revolting, yet believable once they started quoting dad. I have a bunch of non-pc thoughts about the incident.

5. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Having raised 2 boys, would I take them to a museum, yes I did. We TEACH them NO TOUCHING! Even my 4, 8 & 10 year old know we look with our eyes & not our hands. Funny how my son has become his mother…

6. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

...me too

7. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I guess they keep digging these jars out of the ground and they don't know where else to store them. Out of necessity its a hands-on display. :rolleyes:

sabre123, kyratango and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

First I would say, the museum is misjudging today's kids. Not all kids, but many do not know how to listen to direction.

Second, I would say, anything like that should be in a case where no one can touch it. We protect paintings now because idiots come in and want to spray paint them or glue themslves to the art.
    We live in a different world now.

Aquitaine, Marote, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  9. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

My parents had a steadfast no touching rule anywhere they took us. 1st thing my dad would say is "hands in pockets" and you best believe we did it instantly. You did not want him to say it twice. Pearls,a couple of years ago they had a traveling exhibit of Impressionists come to my local museum and I was so excited to see so many artists i loved in person for the first time. Each and every painting was behind thick glass. I was so upset because I felt it didnt allow you to see the true work. I asked a docent and he told me insurance,etc dictated thats how they had to display. I was sad that day.

10. Potteryplease

A little strangely (to me at least), the head of the museum said, of this 3500+ year-old artifact:

“Things like this happen. We will fix (the jar) and put it back.”

Wow!

11. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

What else could she say? What she was actually thinking was probably not fit to print. :rolleyes:

kyratango, Marote, Tiquer and 4 others like this.
  12. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

The "glass" wouldn't be so bad if they paid the extra to make it non-glare, which comes in glass and Plexi (usually museums use Plexi so breakage doesn't hurt the piece). Non glare is magical stuff once it's cleaned properly after an install. I once had a curator ask why a piece had no glass on it... Because it had the museum-grade non glare and he couldn't see it at all.

There's also the added benefit of uv protection to prevent light from degrading things.

kyratango, 2manybooks, Marote and 4 others like this.
  13. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

I have to say, watching children and their parents at our local flea, parents have no control. All I think about is "If you can't control them at 6 years old, what are you going to do when they are 16?"

A family came by my booth, parents and 3 young boys. The boys pulled necklaces off my display and tried to shove them over their heads. I went over, grabbed them back and said something like "These are old and delicate and they are not toys!" I got dirty looks from the parents as they waked away.

Really? Would they have paid for them if their little dears damaged them?

And I am not the only one having this problem, I hear similar stories from other dealers.

14. Tiquer

Tiquer Well-Known Member

My wife and I start circling like sharks when ppl bring their kids to our yard sales. It is beyond unacceptable what many parents ignore today.

15. pearlsnblume

Marie put a sign up that says you break it, you buy it.

That is awful. I have said this before and I will say it again, many parents today have lost control of parenting.

Some estate sales near me say in their ads, no kids allowed.

kyratango, johnnycb09 and Aquitaine like this.
  16. pearlsnblume

That was probably after a few drinks. I would not be that cool.

17. Potteryplease

I gotta say, for some parents today, it's not an oversight or an inability to control their children--it's on purpose. "That's how children learn" and "Children need to be children" and "It's wrong to try and dominate a child." These ideas have some currency today with younger parents.

(No idea the circumstance in that Israeli museum, of course.)

18. pearlsnblume

How about these idiots...all grown up and still stupid

19. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

It is so disrespectful when parents allow their kids to touch or play with things that are clearly not toys. I agree with a sign you break it there fore you now own it. Anytime we took our kids places they knew early on what was expected & acceptable behaviors or they would receive consequences. Yes we were those parents who actually turned the car around (once) because they were fighting while both playing on their game boy things. We turned around as soon as they saw my husband take a piece of luggage out they cried & apologized, yes we wound up going on our vacation because Disney was expensive even then. Turned out to be the best car trip though! It makes me wonder why bring kids if you won’t watch them.

20. KosmoCramer

KosmoCramer Active Member

Parents should have better control of their kids. But, honestly I blame the museum. If you are going to keep artifacts like that (which are easily breakable) in the open - you’re kind of asking for that to happen - or at a minimum don’t let kids in

Draft saved Draft deleted