Western Red Cedar Flute & Bone Carving; FB '97' Mark: NA?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by wlwhittier, Mar 25, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This is completely beyond my knowledge, but I recognize good craft in its creation, an' hope a few of you will fill me in on a few specifics about this instrument. Google image offers dozens of very similar flutes, none with any combination of markings or carvings like this. Those listed on eBay make note of the musical key each are 'tuned' to...perhaps my Lady will assist me with that. It has a sweet, clear an' not weak or reedy tone, an' the holes do alter that when stopped...but I haven't any flute skills so that's all I can say about its musical quality.
    It is 23" long, 1 1/4" diameter with ~3/32" wall; it weighs, with the bone piece, 2.9 oz. Pics 3, 4, 6, 7 & 8 all show the longitudinal seam where the 2 (upper & lower) halves were joined after the interior was hollowed out an' otherwise processed.
    The maker's monogram, on the RH side adjacent the tuning hole, looks like an F & B joined back to back; the same area on other side of the flute is marked with '97', which I will assume is the year made.
    Does the carved bone piece have a name, an' what is its significance as affixed to the flute? Does it in any way serve to identify a tribal origin? The side shown in pic 9 is convex; pic 10 shows the flat side...it's ~1/4" thick max, 3 1/4" long, an weigh 0.6 oz by itself.
    I would love to be able to ID the maker, of course...an' anything y'all can add to my limited understanding will be most gratefully received an' acknowledged. Thanks for lookin'!

@komokwa

P1400841.jpeg P1400846.jpeg P1400845.jpeg P1400844.jpeg P1400850.jpeg P1400849.jpeg P1400848.jpeg P1400847.jpeg P1400851.jpeg P1400853.jpeg

charlie cheswick likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this is unknown to me.......:sorry::sorry:

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Just curious about your posts...do you always leave off the "d" at the end of the word "and"? I have never seen it abbreviated as "an'" before. Just wondering if it's a regional dialect.

wlwhittier likes this.
  4. wlwhittier

Yup...idiosyncratic to me, Bev. I try to write as I speak.

5. wlwhittier

Dang...sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted