Featured Weird thrift store find - Reagan / Gorbachev(?) 2 face bust?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Sep 2, 2022.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Found this today at a local thrift store (along with a Banksy litho & a 18 arm/lights atomic sputnik chandelier).
    It looks like either Reagan & Gorbachev - or maybe Bush & Cheney? and it has both faces on 1 bust!
    On 1 shoulder it says 'Putting Their Heads Together'
    On the other shoulder it has 1986 & under that it looks like 'Dororthy Philibert'
    But when I google Dorothy Philibert 2 face bust or Reagan/Gorbachev two face bust - I get no results.
    Has anyone seen this before and/or heard of the artist Dorothy Philibert?
    Thanks for any help - this one is strange but cool!

ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 1AA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 1AAA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 2AA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 2AAA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 4AA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 4AAA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 5AA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 5AAA.JPG ART STATUE REAGAN GORBECHEV 2 FACE BUST 0AA.JPG

Figtree3, Boland, judy and 2 others like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

All I can say is... She really shouldn't have.

Debora

3. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

It's made of some kind of metal - pot metal? It couldn't have been easy to do; you have to give her/it some credit!

Potteryplease likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

If you can make one face, you can make two.;)
    I'm sure people will be interested in the novelty aspect.

aaroncab likes this.
  5. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I think it’s kind of neat. Timely for sure. I recall seeing Gorby on television all the time as a kid and wondering what was on his head. I finally asked my dad who was quite possibly a few Bud’s deep and he jokingly told me it was pigeon shit. I still think of that every time is see him or his name. Ah memories….

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

He just died, a few days ago. The statue is political history, so worth a gamble for that reason. It's hard to think that a lot of adults have no memory of the 80s.

Msalicia, Figtree3, reader and 2 others like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Many people will remember him. He may not get a state funeral, but we know his importance to world history.

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Although not politically inclined, I think it's neato art bust.
    Made of the lost wax method, nicely carved, someone will want this.

judy and reader like this.
  9. evelyb30

He was the last leader of the USSR. They'd better give him a state funeral.

judy likes this.
  10. Any Jewelry

They won't. Putin blames him for the independence of former Soviet states. It makes the creation of a great Russian empire much more difficult. I heard a few weeks ago that such an empire is supposed to extend to, and include, Ireland.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    judy likes this.
  11. evelyb30

I bet the Irish would have something to say about that! Not to mention everyone in between.

Draft saved Draft deleted