Weird Glass Vessel: Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Carnivant, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

I acquired this glass vessel from an antique store today. I thought it looked strange, and it was also discounted from $2 to free, so I figured why not. It appears to be partly melted, seems to have a broken top, and was very dirty, all likely contributing to why it was so cheap. But still, it fascinates me, so... here it is.

It is approximately 9 cm tall. The outside is black and red. The inside (at least what I can see near the hole) is the same red colour. There is a pontil mark (or something) at the bottom which is a light, slag-like blue. When holding the bottle into the light (looking inside from the hole or anywhere on the base), the glass actually appears to be a blue.

Under UV, the pontil mark glows fairly vibrantly (it reminds me of an opal), but the bottle itself glows a dark green (very noticeable around the bottom and the smoothed top, but not bright like uranium; the red parts do not glow).

That's everything I could think to check. Any help with this would be appreciated. :)

20240909_180003.jpg 20240909_180018.jpg 20240909_180150.jpg 20240909_180023.jpg 20240909_180028.jpg 20240909_180144.jpg

Figtree3 and wlwhittier like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The internet says it's a pineapple finial for a wooden clock. Do a Google Images search and see what you make of similars.

Debora

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It reminds me of some Christmas baubles that have a pine cone look. If this is such a bauble, it would have had a metal cap.
    I only know the turned and carved wooden finials for clocks, have never seen glass ones.

Figtree3 likes this.
  4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s certainly a pineapple. I’ve only seen wooden finials on clocks too. I’d have thought a bit heavy for a bauble. I suspect it’s what remains of a stopper.

Figtree3 likes this.
  5. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

I did start with a Google Image search, but unfortunately, I have not found that to be much help with this piece. I would also not think it is a finial for a clock.

Would either of these have a flat bottom with a pontil scar though? To me, it looks like this was meant to stand on its base rather than hang or act as a stopper. My original thought was some sort of bottle (maybe for perfume), but while the size and shape would work, I just haven't found anything like this one.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

I realized the stopper suggestion works if the "pontil" continued to form the stopper, with what remains being just the decorative part. Even so, that would be a rather intense stopper (big, bulky, and heavy). If this was a stopper though, I'd love to see the bottle it went with. x)

Another suggestion I got was a curtain rod finial, which I think this could be the correct size for. Similar to this one:
    rod.png
    (https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boston-sandwich-glass-co-blown-molded-4749029042)

That one was made by the Boston & Sandwich Glass Company. It just so happens to be blue and UV-active as well. The shape is certainly different, with mine being more pineapple-like than hobnail-like. So... still looking, but another possible lead there. :)

Figtree3 and all_fakes like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted