Featured Weekend Finds..Questions!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, Jul 21, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hi all! After the high of the boxes I'm desperate for a good jewelry find, but so far not much has turned up. Instead, I do have some questions about bits and pieces, some for keywords and others for knowledge.

This came in a lot on Friday. Unforunately there's a few stones missing which I missed on the listing, but 3 of them were in the bag so I can reglue. Its very good quality, and heavy. There's no marks on it at all, and google lens yields little. Is there anything else to know about this except nice costume?

IMG_20240721_181553.jpg IMG_20240721_181558.jpg IMG_20240721_181608.jpg

I got the lot in part for this bracelet. I think its mens as its much too big for both me and my mother. Its gorgeous, in decent condition, and marked. Its not solid gold (I wish!), but when I tested it for plate it doesn't seem to be plated either? The 9k acid held for a bit, but faded after 3 or 4 seconds so I'm not sure what to think about that. Its also heavy, really nice quality.

IMG_20240721_182001.jpg
    IMG_20240721_181940.jpg IMG_20240721_182017.jpg IMG_20240721_182141.jpg

More coming later, must run to dinner.​

2. RachelW

Okay Im back! A lovely Chicken chili is being digested.

I picked up these pearls for a euro yesterday. Its very long (scissors for scale :hilarious:), and the pearls are genuine. The black ones I'm reading are called rice or nugget pearls? Its on cotton thread. I'm assuming this kind of thing is hard to date and likely to be newer. Here on white you can see the colors better.

IMG_20240721_182313.jpg IMG_20240721_182358.jpg

The other item I got the lot for, I had hoped this was silver but its not. Still, its nice. What are these called again? I know they're vintage ish, often they have Japanese motifs on them. This might be more scandi with those roofs? Any keywords I might miss?

IMG_20240721_182547.jpg IMG_20240721_182624.jpg

And finally, what is this? I need to test it gutta, its not glass. But I keep seeing this weird foiling/paint come off at the back of these kinds of brooches, does this mean anything, ie quality, making process, etc?

IMG_20240721_184439.jpg IMG_20240721_184446.jpg IMG_20240721_184508.jpg

Thank you all!! Hope yall had a great weekend​

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The pearls are a dyed Chinese freshwater lariat, but a nice long one. It'll look spectacular over the proverbial little black dress..or blue, green, purple, orange, etc one. The bracelet is a classic meant to look like a souvenir bracelet. Probably is. I've found similar goldtone bracelets before, including one with a fake 14k mark. Never seen one in precious metal.

The black one is mourning jewelry of some sort. I bet @Ownedbybear will have seen it before. We don't see enough UK mourning pieces here to even guess.

RachelW, mirana and Bronwen like this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The front is mounted on a black lacquered metal construction. That was usually the case with French pieces, others probably as well. The black lacquer is coming off, that often happens. It is called age-related wear.;)
    It is a lovely brooch.:)
    Very nice bracelet. Did you get the lot from France? Maybe a souvenir from Alsace, with those storks and pine trees?
    It is what the Germans call "Autobahngold". Autobahn is the German word for highway, and Gold is ermmm....:confused::playful:
    In the 1960s and 70s dodgy sellers sold "gold" jewellery in parking lots and picnic areas along the German highways. It was often heavily marked but none of it was gold, and most of it wasn't even goldplated. This bracelet is typical of the notorious Autobahngold style.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2024
  5. RachelW

Dear oh dear they're dying everything aren't they. Thank you for the term Lariat though!

Thank you both! I don't think I have any mourning jewelry so that'd be great if that's what it is.

Yep the lot was from France, so Alsace would make sense. I'll add souvenir to the keywords.

Oh ew on the bracelet. I have an Autobahngold ring marked 750/18k bright as day...not. The bracelet is really very nice but I'll have to be very clear that its not what it seems lol.

6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

A late comment, but yes, lacquered mourning brooch. It was for protection and enhancement.

I’ve a few of those souvenir bracelets, I’m fond of them, especially the ones with town shields on.

kyratango and RachelW like this.
  7. RachelW

Oh how nice! Thanks for the confirmation.

I had one with the shields of Lyon and other surrounding towns, it was a nice one!

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted