Featured Wedgwood asterisk bottom mark What does it mean?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gauntlettgems, Apr 10, 2020.

1. gauntlettgems

gauntlettgems Well-Known Member

00F4743D-4905-4989-915E-094B08E55769_1_201_a.jpeg 6C56CD0F-E4CC-4BC2-9DA1-CF9EA1705ECB_1_201_a.jpeg 6FFE4AE3-8CBB-41FC-B019-E83D01E97ED5_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi everyone! How is winter-spring-summer cleaning going? I've never been so organized.

I am having trouble identifying the meaning of this mark on the base of this large piece of Wedgwood I am thinking it is a clue to the year but have had no luck looking it up The only other mark is the word Wedgwood I know the word England sort of dates it to it has to be after a certain year for that word to be on it There are no other initials or marks as on the other pieces that came in the lot This one really seems to have some age to it as the others are from the 70's but still look brand new

Please, any help is very much appreciated

Ty

Christmasjoy, stracci and komokwa like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

the font dates the mark as well. I do believe that the asterisk is a date, but I need to find my book.

3. gauntlettgems

@Ownedbybear

All I have been able to deduce is that it could be antique because it only says England Dating it from 1891 to 1907 when they added Made in to the England Does that sound right?

Also forgot to say please and thank you for when you find it

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
  4. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I don't know about the mark, but the figures are the Muses Polyhymnia & Urania. Are there 2 others on the opposite side? There may be a record of when this design was introduced, putting a floor under the date. Lovely piece. :)

judy, Christmasjoy and gauntlettgems like this.
  5. Bronwen

judy likes this.
  6. Bronwen

7. gauntlettgems

How did you find the names of the girls on the planter? There are 7 different figures on this

Thank you I love the lion heads

judy, Christmasjoy and Bronwen like this.
  8. Bronwen

I study cameos. Many early Wedgwood designs were taken from the gem impressions made by James Tassie. Then the two became competitors in some ways & Josiah began to use original designs in the neoclassical manner.

Polyhymnia 4.jpg Urania Pichler Qper Harvard.jpg

KSW, KEVIN AIREY, FIJI and 4 others like this.
  9. gauntlettgems

@Bronwen Love that first cameo I'll look up the Tassie guy, never heard of him TY!

10. Bronwen

The second one is a gem impression of the sort Tassie &, after his business took off, others made in plaster & other substances, with the best/most expensive made in glass of the same color as the original stone.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  11. gauntlettgems

The lava ones are very cool

12. Bronwen

Like ivory, lava offers a carver a large enough chunk of material to work with that great depth can be achieved &, on some, parts of the figure are barely attached to the background. Modern 'lava' cameos are molded & do not have this kind of depth. The range of subjects regularly seen in lava is much narrower than in shell.

The Polyhymnia figure is a very old composition, copied by gem engravers. This is a Roman sarcophagus:

Polyhymnia Roman sarcophagus.jpg

Because I never pass up the opportunity to divert a thread to cameos, here is a different Urania, a favorite from my own collection:

Urania mine 1A.jpg

Deng, lovewrens, bluumz and 5 others like this.
  13. gauntlettgems

These are both stunning!!! @Bronwen I love cameos It is such a same most people don't think very much of them I was at the pawn shop the other day and there were a few Some adorned with nice size diamonds I wanted them all!

judy and Bronwen like this.
  14. gauntlettgems

I simply cannot find the asterisk mentioned in anything I am finding on the web Grrr

15. Miscstuff

Miscstuff Sometimesgetsitright

16. Bronwen

My one book on Wedgwood says pieces marked Wedgwood & England date to approx. 1891 - 1908. There is no mention of an asterisk or daisy mark so wonder if this could have been a mark put there by the decorator? (Or is the basic shape fired before the decoration in applied?) This jardiniere came in 2 sizes. Book shows a large one marked Wedgwood England & dates to c. 1900.

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  17. Bronwen

Figtree3, judy and gauntlettgems like this.
  18. gauntlettgems

19. gauntlettgems

The coral and shell Wedgwood is beautiful! I’m going to ask the museum if they know anything about the asterisk mark. I’m just too curious!

PortableTreasures, judy and Bronwen like this.
  20. Bronwen

The museum has been very helpful with answering questions for other members a couple of time. There may not be anyone there at present.

judy and gauntlettgems like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted