Featured Wedgewood plaque date?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by J Dagger, Mar 10, 2024.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Wondering age if anyone is good at these? Things it came with were most of not all 20th c. This one o figures could be older or could not be. Google image didn’t get an exact hit but many like it. Some are 18th c that are pretty similar. I’m a Wedgewood illiterate though. Excuse the poor lighting. E03758AF-2DED-4DAD-9A34-F7066F28CE1F.jpeg 4611B6C4-48B8-4190-B28F-E3EC9FF118A8.jpeg

Any Jewelry, Marote and Bronwen like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

well, as a well known member here likes to point out....... there is no ' E ' in your Wedgwood !!:playful::playful:

3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The only Wedgwood reference I have speaks of a marking system consisting of 3 letters where the third letter was the year. Author seems a bit uncertain about the range of marks that were used. Your single letter L could be year, could be maker. In the 3-letter marks, L was 1883.

She's similar to the figures known as the Dancing Hours, which were designed by John Flaxman. He may also have done this lady.

4. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

The font matters. There’s multiple dating systems, earlier and later. I’ll go check.

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  5. Ownedbybear

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To be fair, dagger did say he was Wedg(e)wood illiterate.:playful:

7. Ownedbybear

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I believe Wedgwoods' date marks involve a three-letter/digit code, not a single letter?

[​IMG]

And from THIS source:
    "Various single letters, numbers and symbols are often found on pieces and indicated the potter or decorator, so his pieces could be counted and he could be paid for them. These are not date marks and, with a few notable exceptions, have no meaning to us now."
    and
    "A three letter date code is sometimes found and starts in 1860 but is rarely found on jasper or basalt items; it absence is not indicative of any date... Single letters are not date letters, they're tally marks, used to identify the potters who worked on a piece so they could be paid."
    And they state that the serif Wedgwood mark is pre-1930.

9. Ownedbybear

The early ones do, it’s not a date letter. I’d agree on piecework. I know it’s pre 1930, but the font changed a few times. Can’t find the book. Arg.

J Dagger, Bronwen and bluumz like this.
  10. J Dagger

Touché!!! :)

11. J Dagger

Thanks for your contributions everyone! It’s looks like from bluumz post that after 1891 England is sort of the mark? So pre 1891?

12. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

13. Ownedbybear

From the font alone, I think pre 1891.

J Dagger and John Brassey like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The logo itself doesn't appear to have changed after 1812.

Debora

J Dagger likes this.
  15. John Brassey

John Brassey Well-Known Member

I think early to mid 19th century

16. J Dagger

That’s what it looks like to my eye but I don’t handle enough Wedgwood to count on my eye. I’ll say firmly before 1891 and possibly as old as early 19th.

Bronwen likes this.
  17. J Dagger

Thanks guys. Looks like warm soapy water is the way to go on cleaning these.

Anyone think I should try to preserve the pencil notes? Does that say “Cologne” and “right” towards bottom!

komokwa, Any Jewelry and Bronwen like this.
  18. Ownedbybear

Absolutely preserve the notes. A wee scrap of magic eraser will clean the sprig.

J Dagger, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted