Featured Wedding dress 1938

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Garydh, Oct 20, 2021.

1. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

Out thrift store shopping and found this in a box in the corner, People say it looks like the dress in a movie called the proposal, so I haven’t decided what I’m gonna do with it. Hope you like it 4C4063B8-F749-499C-BE14-3A217BD5730C.jpeg 89D73E74-3228-45EA-A816-20A7971D7069.jpeg 41F3FAD8-82E1-45DD-B76D-60FAAD8DD0C8.jpeg 695B4B44-5581-443E-87B6-A5F37FD91062.jpeg AEA70EF7-9BB5-4BAF-89BC-EF4E55EF8F87.jpeg people say it looks like the dress in a movie called the proposal, so I haven’t decided what I’m gonna do with it. Hope you like it

2. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The dress below is from 'The Proposal'. I think yours is more flattering.
    upload_2021-10-20_13-12-52.jpeg

4. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a lovely dress. Elegant simplicity. Of course ,young brides these days have to have strapless (a trend many shouldnt wear!) so Im not sure about a secondary market. I bet vintage clothing people would love it.

5. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Strapless with tattoos all over! :facepalm:

pearlsnblume, Garydh, judy and 4 others like this.
  6. ulilwitch

ulilwitch Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, that is lovely!

pearlsnblume and Garydh like this.
  7. Kirsten2693

Kirsten2693 New Member

Lovely dress! In case you are interested and don't already know, Hazel and Marshall were married in Kankakee, Illinois. The 1940 census shows the couple living in Shorewood, Milwaukee, WI in 1940.

Tanya, pearlsnblume, SeaGoat and 2 others like this.
  8. Northern Lights Lodge

Northern Lights Lodge Well-Known Member

Awesome! I'd have bought it also! I have sold lots of vintage/antique gowns on line over the years. Your's looks to be in grand shape! I think a very desirable piece! Not EVERY bride likes strapless! :) Since you have the provenance to go with it... wow!
    Cheerio Leslie

pearlsnblume, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice rescue! They're sometimes a tough sell because they're so darned small, but those pre-war satins are worth grabbing. I bet there are some people out there who'd be all over it. I've always thought those late 30s gowns were the best designs.

judy and Garydh like this.
  10. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

If this is not allowed I have no issue with it whatsoever but if I sell it can anyone recommend a good venue and the only damage is a small pinhole on the bottom of the sleeve, Thank you

Any Jewelry, pearlsnblume and judy like this.
  11. Northern Lights Lodge

I post a lot on Ebay. I include measurements; as the sizes over the years have changed. Definitely include any damage (photos) - and any provenance. Care instructions/ thread content info if available on the dress (manufacturer's tag). Vintage wedding apparel (along with other vintage clothing) usually has a good return. If you need help re: measurements - include these. There are lots of videos and charts on line; this is one:

https://medium.com/@SizelyApp/how-to-measure-a-dress-cf1abe1f95bf

In your case, I'd also add sleeve measurements from underarm to end of cuff. I also like to include the back measurement from under the arm seam to under the arm seam.

It is a lovely dress, I should think someone would love to wear it!
    Good luck!
    Cheerio, Leslie

12. Garydh

Garydh Well-Known Member

Thank you so much I will follow your advice

13. Northern Lights Lodge

Glad to help! I hope you find a great buyer and get a good price!
    Sincerely, Leslie

PS... if you need help with a description; please feel free to ask!

Any Jewelry, pearlsnblume and Garydh like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted