Featured Wedding band? With ruby and peridot...I think.

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by evelyb30, Sep 21, 2023.

1. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Someone wore the markings right out of this, but it's 14k. The stones are what I used to call gypsy-set with metal pushed over them to keep them in place. Wedding ring I think, and would bet on the stones representing names or birthstones. I'm thinking peridot for the side stones because of the color and the sheer wear on them. The one on the right especially looks almost matte. If there were any marks inside they're long gone. Nothing there to find with fingernail, eye or 40x loupe.

DSCF9617.JPG DSCF9618.JPG DSCF9616.JPG

KSW, pearlsnblume, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

All three stones could be tourmaline. Have seen this method of securing the stones a rubover setting, although think I spot little tines.

KSW, pearlsnblume and Dessert58 like this.
  3. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

Red stone gypsy/flush set,side stones are "burr" set.

4. evelyb30

Interesting. My lousy diamond tester says the center stone is a lot harder than the side stones, so I suspect ruby is correct. The other two could easily be garnet like Bronwen thought, and probably better odds of that than peridot given the age of the ring.

KSW and Dessert58 like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I always love these band rings with gypsy set stone(s). I have never thought of them as wedding bands though. On old paintings and photographs you often see people wearing more than one of these rings.
    If so, they would be Russian green garnets, demantoid or grossular, which weren't so readily available in the West when this ring was made. And African tsavorites weren't yet discovered.
    I think your original thought of peridot makes more sense, both historically and symbolically.

KSW, komokwa and Bronwen like this.
  6. evelyb30

I don't think they're green enough for demantoid .... and it's not a fancy enough ring.

KSW likes this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Exactly, another reason why I seconded peridot, besides the location and period.

KSW likes this.
  8. evelyb30

Got my blacklight batteries changed and the red stone reacts but the green ones don't. Not sure if green garnets would, but I'd say the odds on peridot just got a lot better.

KSW likes this.
  9. Any Jewelry

Some green grossular could, but as I said before, the use of Russian stones on a Western band ring of this period is very unlikely.
    And tsavorite, also a green garnet, wasn't discovered yet.
    So I can't imagine there would be any green garnet on this ring.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    KSW likes this.
  10. evelyb30

That fits. Green side stones must have been a birthstone or a message.... or just what came handy.

Draft saved Draft deleted