Webb Corbett Unusual & Large - Help Needed

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Grace Falls, Dec 31, 2023.

1. Grace Falls

Grace Falls New Member

Hi all - I have been trying to date or at least find this Webb Corbett acid etched bowl online for a couple of months with no success.

The Webb Corbett is the older pre 1970's brand mark and yet the use bowl is so contemporary and I feel not Art Deco enough to be 1940's & 1950's. I just cannot work this piece out.

The large bowl measures; 11 inch Rim diameter. Weighs 2089grams (2.09 kg) or 4.9lbs
    and 3 1/2 inches high.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Grace Falls

Grace Falls New Member

3. Grace Falls

Grace Falls New Member

4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The 40s and 50s aren't Art Deco either. With the center depression I would consider 2 options = floral centerpiece or Dip (as in Chip and dip, although the decoration on wide rim looks more formal.)

I also think those leaves are cut rather then etched.

Not an expert in any way, so wait for others to opine.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  5. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree that the leaves are cut, not etched (and at the art deco period was not the 1940s and 50s!)
    Hopefully our member @TallCakes can help you!

6. Grace Falls

Grace Falls New Member

Hi thank you members. I realise I should have explained more carefully. The piece is cut, of course - the leaves and circles. The Webb Corbett brand is acid etched on the base - see the photos above. And the brand etched is the older Webb Corbett mark, so before 1970's. So the piece has been made much earlier than one would assume at first glance.:)

judy likes this.
  7. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

If it's in the UK would it be crisps and dip?

lvetterli and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Fifties fruit bowl. We didn’t do chips and dips. Shape is typical.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted