Wayne Howell Art? Nixon & more driving stagecoach + Painting signed Voss? + B Luizi Cowboy Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Jan 24, 2023.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I am sure this is signed Wayne Howell, but I did an image search + googled Wayne Howell art Nixon driving stagecoach, but nothing came up - has anyone seen this piece before? It is Wayne Howell, right?

The 2nd one is a folk art painting? I think it's signed Voss, but the Voss's I found were ... different. Does anyone know who the artist is and more importantly any thoughts on it? Is it folk art? Just a weekend artist?

The last one I just wanted to show you because it's different - it came into my friend's thrift store rolled up in a tube & it appears either old, but it just may not have been well cared for.
    I'm pretty sure it's by Benedito Luizi, but it's the only cowboy one I've seen or been able to find!

Thanks for looking & any help with the first 2!

ART PRINT CARTOON STAGECOACH NIXON GODFATHER 1AA.jpg ART PRINT CARTOON STAGECOACH NIXON GODFATHER 2AA.jpg ART PRINT CARTOON STAGECOACH NIXON GODFATHER 4AA.jpg ART PRINT CARTOON STAGECOACH NIXON GODFATHER 4DAA.jpg ART PAINTING VOSS 1AA.jpg ART PAINTING VOSS 7AA.jpg

BENEDITO LUIZI Below - unless there's another B. Luizi(!)

ART PAINTING COWBOY B LUIZI 1AA.jpg
    ART PAINTING COWBOY THRIFT FIND 2AA.jpg

Roaring20s and wlwhittier like this.
  2. journeymagazine

PS - Who is the criminal clown that Nixon, the Godfather, John Wayne (from true grit with that belly?) and others are taking away?

3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The first one is what amounts to an editorial cartoon. 70's - with Nixon and Kissinger at least and others of the Nixon crowd that I can't place right away. I don't see that last name as Howell.

4. Bakersgma

The guy in the red shirt with the slingshot is John Mitchell, Nixon's Attorney General (who went to jail himself for his role in the Watergate scandal.)

Which one do you think is "The Godfather?"

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be John Dean...would it?

6. wlwhittier

That's not a slingshot...it's a coach gun with corks on strings stuffed in the barrels!

7. Bakersgma

Dean was young and much more attractive than that. ;)

8. journeymagazine

The 3rd one on driver's seat - looks like Marlon Brando to me?
    And the guy in the middle is Henry Kissinger, right? (with the thick accent?)

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. Bakersgma

Okay, but it's still Mitchell.

10. wlwhittier

Haldeman or Ehrlichman?

11. wlwhittier

Yes, of course...

12. Bakersgma

Both Haldeman and Erlichman looked younger than that guy - and it really doesn't look like Vito Corleone to me.

13. wlwhittier

I don't think there's anything 'cowboy' about it; I see 4 oxen pulling a single-axle wagon with two enormous wheels, crossing a bridge...an' perhaps fleeing the fire in the background. The team driver wears a hat with a dead-flat wide brim. I'm not familiar with such an unusual wagon in western America...bicbw.

14. wlwhittier

As an aside, impertinent as it may be: I think the near horse is particularly well done...don't you?

15. journeymagazine

It has the look of that era - to me - but your right, cowboy was wrong term

wlwhittier likes this.
  16. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

17. Bakersgma

Ah. Not his real name.

18. Roaring20s

I'm not finding any images related to the aka artist I posted. He is a master caricaturist. Odd that his site and the internet are not showing images using that name. May not be him.

You could contact the site for confirmation.

19. Roaring20s

I think he has too much hair on the top of his head to be Mitchell. I'm going with Agnew.

20. journeymagazine

I will thank you!

Draft saved Draft deleted