Featured Watercolor signed AF - British?

Discussion in 'Art' started by 2manycats, Jul 22, 2022.

1. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

Anybody know the full name for this AF monogram? Skilled watercolorist; dated 1892. Not in my one (inadequate) reference of American painters, so perhaps British, if those are the chalk cliffs of England.
    AF water (1).JPG

Attached Files:

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

It looks like it says "AF" and 1892.....at least to me! The top of the loop isn't quite completed on the top of the "2"......I lightened it to bring it out....but then you already knew that!!

AF water (3)XX.jpg

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

2manycats and wlwhittier like this.
  4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Yikes! Four pages of 'em...a wearying task, seems.

2manycats and Debora like this.
  5. Aquitaine

I'm truly NOT good at finding artists usually and I'm NOT saying I found yours, @2manycats, but I have been digging, and digging, and looking, and oh my! But I have come across an Australian artist by the name of Albert Henry Fullwood, 1863-1930, which puts him in the correct dates, who painted in both oils and watercolors (from what I'm seeing though, I think mostly oils), signed his work AF, seems to have painted ALL over many countries, I CANNOT find YOUR painting though! He was very prolific with tons of paintings and I think quite a few show good similarities to the style in your watercolor! Be that as it may, I'm going to list the links I have below to a bio by AF's cousin three times removed and 2 links to AF's works.....which include some watercolors!! Phew!! AND GOOD LUCK!!!!:happy::)

https://www.aasd.com.au/index.cfm/list-all-works/?concat=fullwoodalber&direction=0&order=5&show=100

https://www.google.com/search?sa=X&source=univ&tbm=isch&q=albert+henry+fullwood+artworks&client=firefox-b-1-d&fir=8kT6fVILEYNKsM%2CUy1_kPRx3_IGPM%2C_%3B1iFPmpy1vym7JM%2CiOiSWWVQn-LhAM%2C_%3Bx1AOIkDwj2QH5M%2Crw7vmrCliVN4YM%2C_%3BQFvU1LXBlRe1WM%2Crw7vmrCliVN4YM%2C_%3BDOw4NjTQkkGTSM%2CzDq3cYmtULyjWM%2C_%3BW5wiIKljIlHzjM%2CjuNgbSoczoILEM%2C_%3BvqXVTlMJdKxNTM%2CtfV9OrMOl-_tLM%2C_%3BemVqAa-btxEJ7M%2CiOiSWWVQn-LhAM%2C_%3BNCzAgtPvoLmG-M%2CZkX3bCIsHl-sWM%2C_%3BWf5it5JmlyQ_CM%2CFrJNLj0GJS1CtM%2C_&usg=AI4_-kSMJHzceMLHu_mxHgjiXbuwkbatmQ&ved=2ahUKEwj80dXn7435AhVllYkEHV0GAwQQ7Al6BAghEDI&biw=1057&bih=569&dpr=1.5#imgrc=9fGjcPE3NYaTMM

http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/articles/AHFullwood/artist.htm

2manycats, Lark, antidiem and 2 others like this.
  6. wlwhittier

Profound effort...it smacks strongly of a dedicated work ethic. Well Done!

2manycats and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Aquitaine

And any time I tried to get close enough to images to see a GOOD image of his signature, they wanted you to subscribe to the site!!!!

johnnycb09 likes this.
  8. Aquitaine

HaHa........or a little OCD???!!

9. wlwhittier

Whatever...it produced good results. Can heaven offer more?

Aquitaine likes this.
  10. Aquitaine

Don't know....and I'm NOT in a rush to hurry off and find out!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful::joyful:

BoudiccaJones and wlwhittier like this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Certainly a monogram AF but I don't think the same artist. Work too different in feeling.

Debora

ac9eb03ebd3cc8847ee0a170f3067675-1000.jpg

2manycats likes this.
  12. CheersDears

CheersDears Well-Known Member

It is very similar to a Swinton Diston watercolour I have, but much nicer. The artists were of the same era and might have been standing side by side. I wouldn't be surprised if it's Australian ...

2manycats likes this.
  13. 2manycats

2manycats Well-Known Member

Thanks all for thoughts & help. I think it's NOT Fullwood - if he went by Henry, as his bio says, he's unlikely to have used AF rather than AHF or HF. And, wow, I wish that findartinfo site was a bit more informative - even including the dates of the artists listed would go a long way to narrow it down. I'd be happy to give them $4.95 for a day's access, if I didn't think I would waste it all wading through ALL the possibilities!

Draft saved Draft deleted