Watercolor of a Girl Playing a Horn by Charles Brady

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Jun 29, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I picked this up over the weekend at our monthly antique fair. It is a watercolor on thin paper, about like shopping bag paper. The paper is not watermarked. It has been tacked on the sides and there are some holes from the tacks. It is signed, I think Chas. A Brady. The notation on the back I suspect is incorrect, the work of that artist is nothing like this. There is a stamp from a frame shop and I tried to get a good photo. I think it is says Hulvey Art Shop and the address is on E. 47th St., maybe 815 or 16. I did a few searches and it seemed to come up with stuff in Chicago. I think the painting has an illustrator quality to it and its pretty well done. (There are a few things that are off a bit) I was wondering if maybe it was done by the novelist Charles A Brady, he did do caricatures. Any help with figuring this out would be appreciated.
    IMG_1908.JPG IMG_1910.JPG IMG_1911.JPG IMG_1912.JPG IMG_1907.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I think that's meant to be a boy, a little page perhaps. And you're right, quite illustrative. With a touch of the pre-Raphaelite about it.

Debora

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto, a (page) boy. I don't remember the name of the instrument in English, we call it 'schalmei' in Dutch, the French 'chaume'.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That's it!
    Too many languages playing games in my head.;)

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

We should all have such problems!

Debora

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Stylistically I would guess this is from the first decade or two of the 1900s, contemporary with people like Mathew Parrish and Jessie Wilcox Smith. I think that would make it too early for the author from Buffalo, or for the artist indicated on the back (those two being more or less contemporaries). I found a book online from a Charles A Brady who doesn't look like that Buffalo guy. I'm guessing it's not that uncommon a name, even with the initial.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2022
Draft saved Draft deleted