Featured Walter Baker & Co. 1890s Vending Machine Panel

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Hablin, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Hablin

Hablin New Member

So a few years ago, while digging an old dump for bottles, I came across a sign that was in three feet of mud. It was a Baker's Sweet Delicious Chocolate Tablets vending machine panel. It was created by Williams Automatic Machine Company(Patent number 430,499). The panel was made by Enameled Iron Company, Beaver Falls, PA(Which changed names in 1901). So that puts the date between 1895-1900. Baker.jpg
    other than that, I haven't found anything on it. Not really much on Baker's vending maching, or its worth.

Moeller, cxgirl, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  2. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Hablin, I did find this little bit of info:

Vending Machines
    In 1891 Baker’s began selling its chocolate bars from early coin-operated vending machines made by Williams Automatic Machine Company. These machines probably dispensed Baker’s sweet chocolate bars such as Caracas, German’s, and Century Sweet. The small size of these machines enabled chocolate to be sold in single quantities, in a wider variety of locations anywhere around the country. No longer would one be limited to buying chocolate bars in the grocery stores.

from: SWEET HISTORY: Dorchester and the Chocolate Factory www.bostonhistory.org/bakerschocolate/

Accessed here:
    http://earlybirdpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/SWEET_HISTORY_2005.pdf

3. Hablin

Hablin New Member

Thanks so much for looking. It was my best find ever digging bottles. Wish I knew the value

4. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Not sure the machine itself matters much, since you only have a front panel that was made by a different company. I think it would appeal more to anyone who recognizes the chocolate brand. As it stands as a decorative item, it lacks fancy graphics and is just two colors with text.

I guess what you could do is look at comparable candy machines of the era, what they go for, and work a percentage off of that.

Sadly the panel is so damaged I can't see it being used as a replacement part without a lot of effort and money to repair, bringing down the value of the piece itself considerably.

KingofThings, judy and komokwa like this.
  5. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome!
    WOW! :)
    ~
    Such things, in such condition, reproduced, even if made smaller, do very well. I suggest you check on this option before you sell it if you plan to.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

From the explicit directions, vending machines must have been a novelty at the time.

Debora

KingofThings likes this.
  7. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

They were. Very much so. :)
    If I'm not mistaken...the very first one was for gum and placed in a train station.

8. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

Wow, this brought back some great memories. I didn't live far from the Baker's Chocolate company when I was a kid. We could smell the chocolate in the air when were outside playing. Sometimes, the smell would be so strong, we all just stopped playing, tilted our heads back to get a better whiff of the wonderful smell.

There are people who grew up around the factory that collect Baker's Chocolate for that very reason. If you are going to list it, make sure to put in "Baker's Chocolate Factory Lower Mills Dorchester, Massachusetts" to get their attention.

The factory still stands but was turned into apartments and offices.

Draft saved Draft deleted