WALLACE NUTTING COLORED PHOTO OR PAINTING?

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 31, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found this at a friend's antique shop She said it was a colored photograph by Wallace Nutting, but I think it's a painting (seems to soft or hazy? to be photo)
    Is there anyway to tell without removing it from frame/glass?
    Thanks
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING PHOTOGRAPH PAINTING WALLACE NUTTING 1AA.jpg
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING PHOTOGRAPH PAINTING WALLACE NUTTING 2AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING PHOTOGRAPH PAINTING WALLACE NUTTING 3AA.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING PHOTOGRAPH PAINTING WALLACE NUTTING 5AA.jpg

kyratango likes this.
  2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

If it's a hand tinted photo, it's a bit of each.

The only Wallace Nutting print I ever has was tiny (under 3" by 4"), and there was an equally tiny copyright notice lost in it. So look over the entire image very carefully.

PrintWallaceNuttingSmallRiversideLandscapeHandTintPhotoSigned-b.jpg

DSCN9561a.JPG

The copyright notice was lost in the rocks along the stream.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2018
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Hand tinted photograph

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I found this at a friend's antique shop She said it was a colored photograph by Wallace Nutting,

Nuff Said.........

If it was found at a garage sale.......nuther story....

but here you have a dealer telling you what it is .....same as the 3 gals.....and you are dismissing the dealers knowledge in favor of what you are hoping it could be .....

If there's a course out there on how to identify a paintings.....I suggest it would be a worthwhile pursuit !

kyratango and Christmasjoy like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Hm, most Wallace Nutting pictures are signed "Wallace Nutting," not "W. Nutting" and the handwriting looks different. That might not mean anything, but I'd look into it if I were you.

UPDATE: I did find one just now sold on eBay that is signed W Nutting. The W is formed differently and the handwriting in general looks different.

Christmasjoy and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Seems to be peeling up on the bottom.

7. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I wasn't dismissing them - I asked what it was & said why I thought it was a painting.
    Trust me, I know I'm a art idiot - it's why I come here so much!

Draft saved Draft deleted