Wallace Bros. Silver or Silverplated?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Roger67, Feb 3, 2016.

1. Roger67

Roger67 Well-Known Member

Hi, I have researched this Wallace Bros. Silver Dish but I still don't know if it's Sterling or just heavily Silver Plated. They did make some sterling... I think. It is about 6 1/2 inch from top to bottom. and also what could the C mark mean? TIA everybody. IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1466.JPG IMG_1467.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

When an American-made piece of this age does not say "sterling" somewhere on it, it is silverplated at best.

Ladybranch likes this.
  3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

Without the word sterling it would be silverplate. Wallace Bros. was noted for the manufacture of silverplate. From Rainwater's Encyclopedia of Amer. Silver Manufacturers, p. 264.

"In July 1875, Robert Wallace with his sons, ... formed a co-partnership under the name of Wallace Brothers for the manufacturing of silverplated flatware on a base of cast steel. Manufacture of silverplated holloware also began at this time. The manufacture of holloware ceased in 1986,. On June 23, 1879, the corporation of R. Wallace & Sons Mfg. Co. acquired and took over the business and good will of Wallace Brothers."

--- Susan

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Roger67

Thanks for your answers! So do you think the C means cast steel?

5. Roger67

And also what year would this mark be? With the dog on it.

6. Bakersgma

I have never seen dates ascribed to any of the various Wallace marks, except for the modern Wallace Silversmiths marks used post-1956. I don't know of any date marks for Wallace either.

The floral pattern of the dish looks 1900-ish to me, but that's just an impression and not conclusive.

7. Roger67

Thanks Bakersgma and Ladybranch for all that you do to help!!!! I have noticed this web site is really GROWING!!

8. Laura2

Laura2 New Member

I have a very similar looking dish that is Wallace Brothers Dog Trademark and says 2941 C. Mine has a silver flying goose attached to the top. I wonder if yours did too at some time.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this thread is 7 years old.........

@Roger67 ....... maybe ?

10. Bakersgma

It might be a good idea for you to post a picture of your dish with the flying goose on it.

komokwa likes this.
  11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

...in your own thread, rather than adding to this one.

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted