Wall mounted Copper Watering Can

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Nathan Lindop, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

Can't find a can like this online. Making me wondering whether it's for another purpose or if it's just rare. I didn't take very good photos

IMG_2658.JPG

i need help likes this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Need more photos, but you can look at a ships kettle.

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like something that would make an awesome mail box for a gardener! With the handle amidships, it would make a terrible watering device.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Antique Copper Boat Kettle Unusual copper kettle that was made for a ship or boat. The flat back sits against a wall to prevent moving and tipping.

but that's Pinterst ...so the ' antique '...could be antique STYLE...

upload_2018-9-5_16-57-34.jpeg

judy, Aquitaine, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. all_fakes

all_fakes Well-Known Member

judy, Bronwen, Christmasjoy and 2 others like this.
  7. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

I like this idea. The flat back looks to me more like it's for compact storage than for stability. Longboat, caravan/house trailer, etc.

8. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

How could we possibly guess the purpose from one picture and no dimensions? What’s the white residue in the spout? Musta been a dispenser for Elmer’s glue or sumpin’. What’s it look like inside?

i need help and Bronwen like this.
  9. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

A left handed person could not use this. :shifty:

Jivvy, Nathan Lindop and Bronwen like this.
  10. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You lucky fellow, never having hard water. :)
    That could be the lime buildup you get when you boil hard water.

Jivvy and Bronwen like this.
  11. springfld.arsenal

I think
    For ink
    But can’t find
    A link

Bronwen likes this.
  12. springfld.arsenal

Reasoning I think for ink might make sense is that you can find somewhat similar copper ink pouring cans with similar spouts but in different geometric shapes and no flat back. I’m guessing that operator had to pour ink from the can into a trough at the back of the press, and only had access from the front into a confined area. Use couldn’t see over the top, too tight, but he was expected to pour ink all along in a narrow trough at the very back, along a flat vertical “wall.” So with the flat back of the can, he could ensure the ink got into the trough by sliding the can flat along the wall.

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

As INH observed, with his right hand. Wonder if they made a version for lefties?

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  14. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Another thought. The spout coming off at the bottom of the pot reminds me of a fat separator (the grease floats to the top, and the juices settle at the bottom). The opening at the top is larger than would be needed for filling with water, but would make it easier to pour the contents of a frying pan into it and to clean the fat out. Perhaps it sat at the back of the stove, or in a rack nearby.

Jivvy likes this.
  15. springfld.arsenal

“Back then” whenever then was, people were cheap and plentiful, foreman could just pick all righties for inkers, much simpler than having two kinds of ink pitchers. But the motion required for the task looks simple enough for righty me to do left-handed if necessary, I can twist my outstretched left arm so fist axis is about 70 degrees left of vertical, and as old and creaky as my body is, a much younger person may well have more dexterity than that.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Bronwen likes this.