Walking stick vintage, genuine or a copy of some sort.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Tinpanalleybluesman, Jul 5, 2023.

1. Tinpanalleybluesman

Tinpanalleybluesman New Member

Hello everyone !
    Recently I have bought this walking stick at some antique fair, fairly cheap ... For around 50 euros or so .. Seller couldn't tell me anything about this walking stick, except that he thinks it's " old " ... The handle reminds me on " art nouveau " style of "girl with leaves "... But looks to me morelikely like a
    poor brass cast copy of some sort...
    Any ideas if this walking stick is vintage, antique, genuine or some sort of a copy ... Anything about period of production please ? Tnx !!! 0.1.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2023
  2. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

I think it's a modern repro of an Art Nouveau design. The craftsmanship just doesn't say old. Also, I have noticed that the older ones tend to have a ferrule on the end then the handle part screws into that. If you unscrew the handle, does the black color of the wood go all the way through like antique ebony wood or is the interior color just the color of unfinished wood. If its the latter, that would also indicate newer. The price you paid is about what you would pay for a newer one online.

3. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you for your reply ! This one also have ferrule on the end but it's a wooden one. I can't tell if the handle part screws into that.. I can't unscrew the handle. It feels firmly attached to the shaft.

kyratango likes this.
  4. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

The handle looks like a contemporary sand-cast repro.The stick portion on older ones usually gradually tapered towards the tip.

5. Tinpanalleybluesman

Thank you very much for your reply and about the info ! I appreciate it.

kyratango likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted