Vintage Wicker bowl 2

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by rknarr2, Jan 31, 2019.

1. rknarr2

rknarr2 Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I have a wicker bowl. The dimensions are Top: 6 ½” D Bottom: 5” and Height 4 ¼” I was wondering origin of country, how old, type of wood used in making it and worth.
    Thank you for your assistance in this request. Rob
    IMG_7542small.JPG IMG_7545small.JPG IMG_7546small.JPG

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Well...this seems to be the newest of the 3....I'd guess it's rattan , a climbing palm & likely made in China....or other Asian country.
    As to value.....it could make $5 US.

Shout out to @Taupou

3. Lecollectionneur

Lecollectionneur Well-Known Member

This one is similar as this made for my mother 50 years ago at school, If' you're living where it's a school system like in Switzerland they are a lot made for Mothers day as i explain on your other post, it's made originally for knit material, we make another version for sewing items with a wooden base pierced to hold the rattan walls.

An example of what it's making now in artistic creation.
    [​IMG]

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Southeast Asia somewhere.
    Overhere that would be ambitious.

5. Lecollectionneur

2manybooks and i need help like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

I was taught basket weaving as well, as I'm sure many on the forum were when they were younger, way back when.;) Baskets are still made a few hundred metres from me, but that is not really relevant to rknarr's question.

Wicker is like anything else, there are different types of baskets around the world, and different materials. Just like there are different kinds of shirts, pottery, metal buckets, hats, earrings, you name it. Styles and materials are specific to certain regions.
    rknarr is asking for that specific information. He would like to know where, for instance, and the answer to that is that this basket was most likely made in Southeast Asia.:)

2manybooks and i need help like this.
  7. Lecollectionneur

Can be but we use exactly the same material, color and pattern here, my answer was to explain that I can have make it with his design precisely.
    I'm not sure but it's more made here with willow than with rattan looking at the last picture, it looks more to be flat cut willow material than round.

2manybooks likes this.
  8. Any Jewelry

It looks like rattan to me, and the style is Southeast Asian. Rattan is split for weaving, just like willow often is. Here they often split willow three-ways. Rattan would have to be split into more strips.

2manybooks likes this.
  9. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

I agree with @Any Jewelry that it is Southeast Asian, although I have never been sure about the identity of that stiff, thinly divided material. It might be rattan. The base construction is typical of Asian baskets, but the sides are done in a technique that is often called "Madeira", after a typical type made in Madeira, Portugal. It shows up everywhere, like this example from Scotland made of willow:
    [​IMG]
    https://wovencommunities.org/collection/bannock-baskets-in-the-madeira-style/

I have also seen it in medieval illuminations:
    TACUINUM SANITATIS- La salvia planta medicinal - Biblioteca Casanetense Ms. 4182.jpg

It also turns up in some Native American baskets, such as this Hupa basket:
    2.jpg

Who knows who influenced whom, or if the technique was independently developed. Only so many things you can do with a bunch of sticks.

rknarr2, Jivvy and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted