Vintage vacuum formed plastic sign bus destination blind? RENO

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by RRobS, Apr 24, 2022.

1. RRobS

RRobS Member

Found this vintage vacuum formed plastic sign that reads RENO, no other manufacturing markings, thought it might have been a tour bus destination blind, don't know what it was used for, does anyone have any idea? Looks like it might be 1950s-60s vintage. Has a flange so it was mounted in a frame, it's somewhat translucent and probably was lighted. Measures 4" X 22"
    reno3.jpg reno2.jpg reno1.jpg

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Does like something designed for a light box. I'm doubtful intended for use by the seeing-impaired.

Debora

3. RRobS

RRobS Member

Sorry for the confusion, of course I'm not referring to sight impaired. In the transportation industry the signs up front on the vehicle indicating the destination are often referred to as "destination blinds". These have been used on buses and trolly cars for years and can still be seen today on most public transportation. Vintage buses often had rolls that could be changed by cranking the roll to the updated stop. I was just wondering if any old timers out there might have an idea of where this piece could have been used. Thank you. bus.jpg

Boland, bercrystal and antidiem like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, forgive me. I didn't know that expression. Thank you for enlightening me (and so gently.) Always welcome the opportunity to learn something new.

Debora

bercrystal likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Thanks. I also didn’t know what a ‘destination blind’ was (and I also had the wrong idea)

Draft saved Draft deleted